ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Saints ain't got a prayer

vmax

How's that for good English... :)

That's what I see. No shot in hell to win the Super Bowl unless Manning has brain farts and LSD flashbacks all game long.

The Vikings did everything they wanted to do to the Saints except win.

The Saints struggled into the playoffs losing 3 straight...1 to the lowly Bucs in a game the Saints needed to win and played everybody.

The Cardnals...no defense whatsoever...don't let that game fool you.

The Colts D won't evaporate in a mist like the Cardnals but one thing you can count on happening...

Peyton Manning will tear the Saints D up. He will be the Super Bowl MVP. He is hell bent to cement his legacy and make history.

They have no answer. Won't be able to keep up.

Bad timing for the Saints.

Edited by vmax

How's that for good English... :)

That's what I see. No shot in hell to win the Super Bowl unless Manning has brain farts and LSD flashbacks all game long.

The Vikings did everything they wanted to do to the Saints except win.

The Saints struggled into the playoffs losing 3 straight...1 to the lowly Bucs in a game the Saints needed to win and played everybody.

The Cardnals...no defense whatsoever...don't let that game fool you.

The Colts D won't evaporate in a mist like the Cardnals but one thing you can count on happening...

Peyton Manning will tear the Saints D up. He will be the Super Bowl MVP. He is hell bent to cement his legacy and make history.

They have no answer. Won't be able to keep up.

Bad timing for the Saints.

Why does everyone bring up the close win against Minnesota as if Minnesota were an average team? Many people thought Minnesota was the best team in the NFL, probably even more talented than the Colts or Chargers. So why is this victory dismissible? And many people picked Arizona to make a run at the Super Bowl. The Saints destroyed them.

And btw, the Colts secondary is a joke too.

Edited by SpearSrai

Why does everyone bring up the close win against Minnesota as if Minnesota were an average team? Many people thought Minnesota was the best team in the NFL, probably even more talented than the Colts or Chargers. So why is this victory dismissible?

Because the Saints had no right to win against Minnesota, and because the Colts are even better than the Vikings.

You are out of your freekin mind Max..The Saints are going to handle the Colts..Or put it this way, lose by 3 or less..Im sitting in 2nd place, but 3 guys will leap-frog me if the Colts win the Super Bowl, they will collect bonus points..So my only shot is a Saints victory..

WHO-DAT!!

I think the Colts will win, but I don't think it's a lock. The Saints have a lot of weapons at wide out and I think don't think that's a matchup the Colts secondary will win. It will be even better for the Saints if Freeney is rendered ineffective because of that ankle sprain he suffered in the Jets game.

Max, living here in New Orleans I have seen every Saints game this season. Let me just say this, that defense is scrappy in every sense of the word. By saying Manning is going to tear that defense up you are doing them a major injustice. Gregg Williams has his defense play as a unit, not individuals. Sure, the defense will give up yards (twenty-fifth in the league), but they are second in the league in take-aways (39). A defense is going to give up yards and points when you have an offense as prolific as they have, but the bottom line is that the Saints scored 510 points and only let up 341 points.

There is a lot of talent on this defense. Jonathan Vilma is a beast and is the Ray Lewis of their team. Sedrick Ellis is solid up the middle, Will Smith had 13 sacks on the season, and Shanle and Fujita are solid against the run. That secondary is very deep and underrated. We all know what Darren Sharper did this season (9 INTs for 3 TDs), and the starting tandem of Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter was among the best in the league this season. Not only do they have two solid corners, they have two solid backups in first rounder Malcolm Jenkins and former Super Bowl starter for the Pats Randall Gay. They can matchup with the Colts, no doubt. Remember, when the Saints were going through their tough stretch they were without their two starting CBs and had McKenzie and Cmac playing extensively. Both Greer and Porter are full strength now.

Do not underestimate the heart of this team. I have never seen a team play for their city and embrace it like this Saints team does. They realize what this Super Bowl would mean for the city of New Orleans, and they are going to win it. The real question is, how is the Colts defense going to stop the Saints offense? Just too many weapons for the Colts to deal with. And as for the Colts fearsome pass rush... Brees was only sacked 20 times in 514 pass attempts.

Because the Saints had no right to win against Minnesota, and because the Colts are even better than the Vikings.

How did they have 'no right' to win? They forced turnovers and scored 28 points on the Vikings D in regulation. They deserved to win at least as much as we 'deserved' to beat Tennessee in the divisional round last year.

Like TC said, the Saints try to force a turnover on every play. They're always trying to strip the ball or make the big interception.

The Vikings destroyed the Cowboys. They gained a lot of yards on New Orleans, but they certainly didn't overwhelm them.

I'll disagree with that.

Turnovers:

- Peterson dropped a handoff.

- Favre threw over the middle (slant) to a receiver who was standing behind three linebackers and next to a safety.

- Harvin dropped the ball while running backwards trying to get outside.

- Berrian dropped the ball while being tackled.

- Favre threw his Famous Throw.

The ONLY turnover that the Saints really forced themselves was the strip of Harvin. The two interceptions were disastrous throws, and for the two other fumbles, the ball was never even touched by a Saint until after it'd hit the ground.

I refuse to believe that that game was even minutely a product of the Saints' defense as it was Vikings nerves and mistakes.

They did not force turnovers so much as receive them.

Even if this were true, how do you then say that the Vikings deserved to win? Surely a team that shoots itself in the foot with turnovers does not deserve to win. Thus, the Saints had to deserve to win. You can't say "neither team deserved to win" unless the final score was 6-3.

Turnovers:

- Peterson dropped a handoff.

- Favre threw over the middle (slant) to a receiver who was standing behind three linebackers and next to a safety.

- Harvin dropped the ball while running backwards trying to get outside.

- Berrian dropped the ball while being tackled.

- Favre threw his Famous Throw.

The ONLY turnover that the Saints really forced themselves was the strip of Harvin. The two interceptions were disastrous throws, and for the two other fumbles, the ball was never even touched by a Saint until after it'd hit the ground.

I refuse to believe that that game was even minutely a product of the Saints' defense as it was Vikings nerves and mistakes.

I am not just talking about the Vikings game, I am talking about the Saints ALL season. Believe me, I have seen every game. They are an opportunistic defense who forces turnovers.

And the "Favre throw" didn't just happen. The Saints forced Favre into an uncomfortable situation, and he made one of his worst decisions of the season. That said, he's thrown across his body other times this year and it's worked, so the Saints had a guy in the right spot this time.

Even if this were true, how do you then say that the Vikings deserved to win? Surely a team that shoots itself in the foot with turnovers does not deserve to win. Thus, the Saints had to deserve to win. You can't say "neither team deserved to win" unless the final score was 6-3.

I never said that the Vikings deserved to win. I said that the Saints really didn't.

And I know you're talking about the Saints all year, Cleet. I'm just talking about against the Vikings, and comparing that to what they'll face in a week.

Right, and I said that you can't say 'neither team deserved to win' unless it's an awful game. Vikings/Saints was not an awful game.

Sure I can. What kind of qualification is that? The Saints were thoroughly outplayed, but the Vikings gave the ball away nearly half a dozen times. I think it's more than fair to say that both teams played well enough to lose.

Sure I can. What kind of qualification is that? The Saints were thoroughly outplayed, but the Vikings gave the ball away nearly half a dozen times. I think it's more than fair to say that both teams played well enough to lose.

New Orleans limited their turnovers, and Brees threw 3 touchdowns with no picks. He spread the ball around to 8 different receivers. Against a Vikings defense that shut down the Cowboys the week before, that's doing enough to deserve a win.

Max, living here in New Orleans I have seen every Saints game this season. Let me just say this, that defense is scrappy in every sense of the word. By saying Manning is going to tear that defense up you are doing them a major injustice. Gregg Williams has his defense play as a unit, not individuals. Sure, the defense will give up yards (twenty-fifth in the league), but they are second in the league in take-aways (39). A defense is going to give up yards and points when you have an offense as prolific as they have, but the bottom line is that the Saints scored 510 points and only let up 341 points.

There is a lot of talent on this defense. Jonathan Vilma is a beast and is the Ray Lewis of their team. Sedrick Ellis is solid up the middle, Will Smith had 13 sacks on the season, and Shanle and Fujita are solid against the run. That secondary is very deep and underrated. We all know what Darren Sharper did this season (9 INTs for 3 TDs), and the starting tandem of Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter was among the best in the league this season. Not only do they have two solid corners, they have two solid backups in first rounder Malcolm Jenkins and former Super Bowl starter for the Pats Randall Gay. They can matchup with the Colts, no doubt. Remember, when the Saints were going through their tough stretch they were without their two starting CBs and had McKenzie and Cmac playing extensively. Both Greer and Porter are full strength now.

Ever hear the phrase "putting lipstick on a pig"... :) football-7.gif

They are the 25th ranked D in the NFL.

Now...I will be pulling for them all the way. I'd love to see them win the Super Bowl...but that 'Ain't gonna happen'.

Ever hear the phrase "putting lipstick on a pig"... :) football-7.gif

They are the 25th ranked D in the NFL.

Now...I will be pulling for them all the way. I'd love to see them win the Super Bowl...but that 'Ain't gonna happen'.

You ever hear of the phrase "fair is fair"? If you are going to ask how is the Saints defense going to stop the Colts offense, you have to ask: how is the Indy defense going to stop the number one offense in the league? Late round draft picks like Jerraud Powers, Jacob Lacey, and Tim Jennings might have been able to stop the pitful Ravens receivers, but to go against big, fast, physical receivers in Marques Colston, Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem, and Jeremy Shockey (you can throw Reggie Bush in there too)? Good luck Colts secondary. We saw it last week, the Colts left their corners in plenty of man-to-man coverage on the outside and paid for it. They will not be able to do that against the Saints receivers. And if they try to stop the pass, Pierre Thomas will run all over them.

Do not short Drew Brees, he is every bit of a great QB that Peyton Manning is. Once he wins this Super Bowl he is finally going to start getting the credit he deserves. I understand if you pick the Colts to win max, but to say they "ain't got a prayer"... well you are going to be very surprised my friend.

Favre was running for his life in that game. That is why there were so many turnovers. Plus everyone knows how bad AP is at holding onto the ball and the Saints did the correct thing by going after it.

If they can get the same pressure on Manning that they did on Favre then of course they can win the game. However, getting that pressure on Manning is going to be tough and they won't get the hits on Manning like they did on Favre. Manning will lie down before they get within a yard of him so they have no chance of knocking Manning out of the game like they did against Favre.

Can the Saints win? Of course they can.

Will they win? I hope so.

With the news on Freeney's torn ligament I have to change this to "Saint's Prayer Answered"... :) ... they have a shot because the Colts D works only because they get steady pressure by rushing 4. That pressure probably won't be there...even if Freeney plays.

This is shaping up to be 'whoever has the ball last wins'.

Speaking of shootouts....watching the Pro Bowl last night and games like the Cards/Vikings I have to say the NFL is starting to get like the NBA.

With defense being negated by rules that favor passing, it's getting...boring. No strategy. No "Force clashing with Force". Like the NBA, just tune into the end of the game to see who wins.

What did I tell you max, that defense is scrappy, isn't it?

I told Force that you were on Bourbon street getting drunk.

He said no, you're in your dorm room getting drunk.

Your post suggests that you are in your dorm room sober as ever correcting the board's crazy man.