ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Zorn Hired as QB Coach

ForceEight

What's the most successful west-coast offense in the NFL right now? And of the last 5-10 years?

Philly? Are they still running a traditional west-coast?

I don't think they ever did run a traditional West Coast offense.

I know the 49ers played with it this year. You can say that Seattle was close to it before last season. And, of course, the Redskins. The last two directly related to Zorn.

I don't think they ever did run a traditional West Coast offense.

I know the 49ers played with it this year. You can say that Seattle was close to it before last season. And, of course, the Redskins. The last two directly related to Zorn.

What do the Packers and Vikings use?

As for the West Coach Offense...

"The West Coast offense requires sure-handed receivers who are comfortable catching in heavy traffic..."

Let me stop you right there.

Don't like the hire.

Now I know this position is QB coach but I want a guy who can fill Cam's shoes should he move on. What Zorn did in DC scares the hell out of me. I like his character...I have doubts about his coaching skills.

What do the Packers and Vikings use?

As for the West Coach Offense...

"The West Coast offense requires sure-handed receivers who are comfortable catching in heavy traffic..."

Let me stop you right there.

The Vikings use a few variations of it. Green Bay to an even lesser extent.

For the record, I hope you didn't think that I was endorsing using it. I was just mentioning that Cam and Zorn have opposite styles, which would be interesting to be seen worked out.

For the record, I hope you didn't think that I was endorsing using it. I was just mentioning that Cam and Zorn have opposite styles, which would be interesting to be seen worked out.

I know; I wasn't referring to what you said, just thinking a bit about how our offense would fare if we instituted some features of the WCO into it. I have to assume that Zorn is going to have some influence on our offensive philosophy.

I like the move. Zorn is not a good HC, but he is a great QB coach, just ask Matt Hasselbeck. As bad as Jason Campbell was, Zorn definitely had progress with him. Campbell's footwork, accuracy, and mechanics improved dramatically under Zorn. Zorn could not help that Campbell is just not a smart guy. Now pair Zorn with an intelligent individual in Joe Flacco and it could be Matt Hasselbeck all over again. I see Zorn here as a good thing, this offense could use some West Coast elements in it, such as quick slants to counter the blitz.

As a QB coach, Zorn emphasizes flexibility, quickness, and a focus on footwork with his QBs. Zorn makes sure his QBs are in shape. The first week Zorn took over as HC with the Redskins Campbell had to take a couple of days off of practice because he was not used to the high pace Zorn was putting him through with his 3- and 5-step dropbacks. It is about efficiency, and Campbell was simply using muscles he had never really used before as a QB. Like I said, Joe is already an established QB. No one is going to mess him up. Zorn is a former NFL QB who will be another set of eyes for Joe to come to. At the very least, Joe will be more durable against injury.

I like the move. Zorn is not a good HC, but he is a great QB coach, just ask Matt Hasselbeck. As bad as Jason Campbell was, Zorn definitely had progress with him. Campbell's footwork, accuracy, and mechanics improved dramatically under Zorn. Zorn could not help that Campbell is just not a smart guy. Now pair Zorn with an intelligent individual in Joe Flacco and it could be Matt Hasselbeck all over again. I see Zorn here as a good thing, this offense could use some West Coast elements in it, such as quick slants to counter the blitz.

As a QB coach, Zorn emphasizes flexibility, quickness, and a focus on footwork with his QBs. Zorn makes sure his QBs are in shape. The first week Zorn took over as HC with the Redskins Campbell had to take a couple of days off of practice because he was not used to the high pace Zorn was putting him through with his 3- and 5-step dropbacks. It is about efficiency, and Campbell was simply using muscles he had never really used before as a QB. Like I said, Joe is already an established QB. No one is going to mess him up. Zorn is a former NFL QB who will be another set of eyes for Joe to come to. At the very least, Joe will be more durable against injury.

Hopefully Zorn will be able to help Tebow with his dropbacks too, just in case Flacco does reaggravate his injury next year.

Here is a good piece on what Zorn is going to try and do:

Zorn's happy with where the project begins. He said he likes Flacco's poise in the pocket, his accuracy and his arm strength, in particular.

His mission is to feature those natural talents as much as possible, not change what has already been built.

"I don't have to come in and say, ‘OK I have all the answers,'" Zorn told 105.7 The Fan. "He's gone a distance now and I'm not going to change the distance he's gone. I'm going to add on it. And I'm going to try to convince him if there's real glaring things."

Zorn comes from a West Coast offense in Seattle. The West Coast offense focuses on shorter, quicker routes, often over the middle of the field. It's a system in which the quarterback must quickly distribute the football, something Flacco was criticized for not doing at the tail end of the 2009 season.

While the Ravens' system obviously isn't going to change with Zorn's arrival, Zorn was confident he could help Flacco make quicker throws.

"Yes, I can and I will," Zorn said. "But I won't assume any problems. I already see some things I could make a comment about here and there, but you have to know about the offense before you critique the quarterback."

More than teaching mechanics, Zorn says he likes to "teach football." That entails knowing defensive fronts, coverages, blitz packages how the run game works and how to play the field position game, for example.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2010/02/Zorn_Excited_For_New_Project.aspx

Sounds good so far. Zorn has the right mindset, and if he accomplishes half of what he's talking about, we'll be in great shape next year (provided Joe has weapons to throw to.)

Now let's hope Zorn can rub off on Cam a little. All this talk about "quick crossing-routes" is getting me excited.

After a couple of days pondering..I feel worse.

I feel the way I felt when Billick brought in Grbackwards after Dilf had taken us to the promised land..How ironic is it that Rod Woodson, said that the Ravens would have repeated if the personnel would have stayed intact..

I dont like this at all, hes shell shocked from 2 years being in the dump south of us..Poor Joe Flacco.

After a couple of days pondering..I feel worse.

I feel the way I felt when Billick brought in Grbackwards after Dilf had taken us to the promised land..How ironic is it that Rod Woodson, said that the Ravens would have repeated if the personnel would have stayed intact..

I dont like this at all, hes shell shocked from 2 years being in the dump south of us..Poor Joe Flacco.

Crav, its too early to feel bad about this. Everything goes south in DC since Snyder took over---even Gibbs didn't have success. Zorn has a reputation of being a good QB coach and he was a wide-open QB when he played. I kind of like the pick.