ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

A wide reciever in first round 2010 or 2011?

supaflysteeler

You guys really need a wide reciever to contemplate Flacco and allow him to grow, whilst you have Mark Clayton, that's it as throwing the deep ball.

Theres Golden Tate and some others (to be honest don't really know im a hokie fan lol). Are you guys so desperate for a wide reciever? Personally if i were a Raven fan i would wait for Julio Jones from Alabama for next year, maybe Jordan Shipley.

Your thoughts?

We don't have to take a WR in the first round. In fact, we probably shouldn't. We do need to snag one or two in the first 3-4 rounds, though. From the looks of things, there are going to be some star WR's sitting there in the second, and possibly even in the third.

We don't have to take a WR in the first round. In fact, we probably shouldn't. We do need to snag one or two in the first 3-4 rounds, though. From the looks of things, there are going to be some star WR's sitting there in the second, and possibly even in the third.

I completely agree, the value for WRs in this draft (unless we trade up for Bryant ala Oher last year) is in rounds 2-4. I am not as worried about the WR position as I was when the season first ended, we just need to get talent in there. If we can draft a couple of WRs, and possibly a TE in rounds 2-4, Joe should have some weapons to work with.

We said the same thing about having a deep WR draft last year, and ended up whiffing. Unless it's Gresham or Graham, I don't see how they could possibly not take a receiver.

Gresham and Graham are very real possibilities. We could also possible trade up (Bryant) or down.

WR's aren't top heavy like last yr but are so very deep. There are guys like Williams from USC, Benn Ill, and Briscoe from Kansas would have been 1st rounders in 2011 but they left now. So I look at it like we are getting guys at a discount. I would take one of the 2 big TE's #1 or a passrusher then start going to town on the WR's the next few rounds.

So since we're all content using our first rounder on a TE or pass-rusher, and our 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounders are going to receivers, when exactly are we going to pick up the future starting corner that we so desperately need?

(We can't rely on Webb playing for the first half of the season. We have to assume that he'll be out, and let's consider it a bonus if he plays.)

So since we're all content using our first rounder on a TE or pass-rusher, and our 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounders are going to receivers, when exactly are we going to pick up the future starting corner that we so desperately need?

(We can't rely on Webb playing for the first half of the season. We have to assume that he'll be out, and let's consider it a bonus if he plays.)

You have to assume that Ozzie is going to do something through free agency/trade. We could get a guy like Malcom Floyd through trade then draft a corner in round one or two. It is still early, the plan will be more clear come draft time.

I have mixed feeling on Floyd. On one hand this was his first year getting extensive playing time and he really excelled as a downfield threat averaging 17.2 YPC on 45 receptions. On the other hand he is certainly a risk. However what he brings to the table at 6'5", 225-pounds being able to stretch the field and be a redzone threat he could be worth it. Cam has coached him before, so if we do go for Floyd, Cam had to have said something positive to Ozzie. I will say this though, Floyd is certainly less of a risk than bringing in a rookie receiver.

Here is the point, Floyd alone is not going to solve the problem. However, get a guy like Floyd, bring back Mason, and draft a rookie pretty high or sign an additional guy like Antonio Bryant/Chris Chambers, and suddenly Joe has a lot to work with. Trading for Floyd and signing Bryant would be a good start.

Where? Clayton has more production than him.

Clayton hasn't put up good numbers in the past 3 seasons. Floyd is coming off a more-productive season than Clayton has had since 2006, and he has much better size than Clayton. His familiarity with Cameron couldn't hurt, either.

Clayton hasn't put up good numbers in the past 3 seasons. Floyd is coming off a more-productive season than Clayton has had since 2006, and he has much better size than Clayton. His familiarity with Cameron couldn't hurt, either.

And he's played in an offense with more stars than maybe any other. And he's started games since 2004, but never more than nine in a season. And he's 29. And he'll cost at least a first round pick. And, if not for a 9 catch, 140 yard performance in his last game, against the woeful Redskins, would have had 36 catches for a career season high--just another nine from his previous high of 27.

Brandon Marshall caught 20 passes in one single game. And his market value looks like a much better buy than Floyd's.

Someone please tell me why he's so coveted here, again? Are we that desperate for warm bodies to catch the ball?

And he's played in an offense with more stars than maybe any other. And he's started games since 2004, but never more than nine in a season. And he's 29. And he'll cost at least a first round pick. And, if not for a 9 catch, 140 yard performance in his last game, against the woeful Redskins, would have had 36 catches for a career season high--just another nine from his previous high of 27.

Brandon Marshall caught 20 passes in one single game. And his market value looks like a much better buy than Floyd's.

Someone please tell me why he's so coveted here, again? Are we that desperate for warm bodies to catch the ball?

A first round pick? I'm talking about bringing in the guy via free agency. I wouldn't give up anything higher than a 5th for him.

Ummm... Floyd did not start on the Chargers until mid-way through this past season. Before that he played heavily on special teams. No way he will cost a first round pick. He is being coveted for his skill set and potential, it is simply one of those lets get this guy before he blows up type of deals. Sure, it is a big risk, but so is any rookie WR.

A first round pick? I'm talking about bringing in the guy via free agency. I wouldn't give up anything higher than a 5th for him.

He's a restricted free agent, and the Chargers will be tendering him. They tendered him a second round pick last year, and after his good season, what if they tender him a first rounder? What about even the second rounder?

Ummm... Floyd did not start on the Chargers until mid-way through this past season. Before that he played heavily on special teams. No way he will cost a first round pick. He is being coveted for his skill set and potential, it is simply one of those lets get this guy before he blows up type of deals. Sure, it is a big risk, but so is any rookie WR.

Floyd had five starts at receiver previous to last season.

My question was the evidence as to why everyone thinks he'll "blow up big" in the first place. And, again, the guy's 29.

He's a restricted free agent, and the Chargers will be tendering him. They tendered him a second round pick last year, and after his good season, what if they tender him a first rounder? What about even the second rounder?

Floyd had five starts at receiver previous to last season.

My question was the evidence as to why everyone thinks he'll "blow up big" in the first place. And, again, the guy's 29.

I wouldn't give up anything 3rd or higher for him, but I could be talked into giving up a 4th. I don't think he'll become a superstar, but it's possible that he could put up a 60 catch, 1000 yard, 7 TD season, which would be huge for us. Very least, it would give Joe a big target to look for. 6'6-to-6'5.

I wouldn't give up anything 3rd or higher for him, but I could be talked into giving up a 4th. I don't think he'll become a superstar, but it's possible that he could put up a 60 catch, 1000 yard, 7 TD season, which would be huge for us. Very least, it would give Joe a big target to look for. 6'6-to-6'5.

Like I said, the Chargers tendered him second round cash last year, so if we want him as badly as they do, it'll cost at least that.

Like I said, the Chargers tendered him second round cash last year, so if we want him as badly as they do, it'll cost at least that.

I agree with this. Floyd is a RFA, and the Chargers obviously want him back. A second round pick is a little much, but I would do a third rounder. I guess it comes down to how much the Chargers are willing to spend on their WR core. They are definitely going to pay V-Jax, if they do not want to pay Floyd, maybe they would get what they can for him in the form of a third round pick? We should really just hope there is a new CBA, I have heard it is not as bleak as people think.

• 2 weeks later...

Because he's a tall 6'5 WR who Cam has scouted so naturally it makes sense to bring him here if that is what Cam wants. If he doesn't blow up (in a good way), blame Cam. Flacco needs a big target, period. Think about it, Joe is a 6'6 QB with a BEAST Arm throwing to 5'10-5'11 WRs. I never played football, but wouldn't it make it easier for Joe to throw to someone his height with a great vertical so that he does not have to focus so much on accuracy? (I'm not saying Joe shouldn't work on his accuracy) Also regarding Floyd, we shouldn't have to give up much to get Floyd, and that makes the most sense according to Ozzie n Decosta's Philosophy of not parting with the #1 pick and accordingly his contract won't cost as much as the elite's in Boldin or Marshall (I think). At the same time, I'm skeptical about him too.

If we can land Anquan Boldin with a 2nd RD Pick, then yea I'd go that route despite Boldin's injuries the past two seasons and despite the contract he will demand, but the guy does play like a Raven (physicality). My only problem with Boldin is that he's not a speed burner. We need someone to take advantage of Flacco's monster power arm. I do believe we need a burner aka a tall wideout with speed. For example, many blame Flacco for not being able to interpret or decode the Cover 2 -- I blame our slow midget WRs who are unable to get open (find that soft spot of separation) against the Cover 2. But hey, what do I know? =/