ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

RAVENS SIGN STALLWORTH

ForceEight

And you would be pretty naive if you thought that that was anywhere near the right thing to do.

There are some things that you simply do not do. Driving drunk is one of them. You know why? Because you can KILL someone. And that's exactly what he did. I have no respect for him, and I have no desire to consider his measly jail sentence and community service as any form of payment for what he did.

I suspect that, had it been the life of someone any of you know and love, you'd feel the same way.

You are now putting words in my mouth, I never said it was an excusable or acceptable behavior. I completely agree with you, it is something one should NEVER do under any circumstance, but drunk driving is not as black and white as you think. Force, you said you do not drink, so I am not sure if you would understand completely. I would say most drunk driving accidents do not happen when someone who is completely tanked decides to get behind the wheel. I would say a lot of these accidents happen with drivers who honestly think and feel they are OK and sober, at that point it not a right or wrong I am a bad person-type decision like you put it. Stallworth woke up from a five hour sleep and decided to go get breakfast. I seriously doubt he thought "I'm drunk" when he got behind the wheel. I am not trying to justify what he did, I am just saying he is not a malicious killer like you state. Would I feel different if he had killed someone I loved? Probably. But Stallworth is not a bad person.

Ozzi9e found this years LJ Smith.

He's not even an upgrade over Clayton and Williams. Due to injuries he couldn't get on the field before he missed all of last season. He'll be 30 this year and the game has passed him by. He won't be suiting up for even half the games.

I actually see this as a Kelly Washington-type move. It will not be a huge one, but he will contribute in some way. Ozzie said they worked out Stallworth, and he still has the physical skills that made him a high round draft pick. Defense cannot take that type of world class speed lightly. Get him into workouts, get him in shape, and have him work with Joe. Stallworth took a year off of football so he should be relatively fresh. The big thing with Stallworth is that, like many fast guys, he is too fast for his own good. He has been pleagued with hamstring problems his whole career, but lets hope the time off and starting workouts early will prepare him for a 16 game season.

Stallworth woke up from a five hour sleep and decided to go get breakfast. I seriously doubt he thought "I'm drunk" when he got behind the wheel.

That's not true whatsoever. He went home at 1AM, but got a text message and went back to the party and had four more shots (after the two margaritas he'd already had). He came home after 6AM, and left less than one hour later to get breakfast (the 911 call was at 7:18 AM).

The big thing with Stallworth is that, like many fast guys, he is too fast for his own good. He has been pleagued with hamstring problems his whole career, but lets hope the time off and starting workouts early will prepare him for a 16 game season.

cleetz...you just described Patrick Johnson

cleetz...you just described Patrick Johnson

That is probably a good comparison, except Stallworth has had much better production than Johnson. Lets just hope that Stallworth has better hands than Pat. I still say Pat would have been a solid receiver had he had any hands, but then again, so would have Travis Taylor...

And, for the sake of your argument, I've never driven under the influence of alcohol; I don't drink in the first place.

That's why you can't identify with this. If you were a drinker at all, you would totally get what we're talking about here. It's not that people make a habit out of driving drunk...it's that borderline scenarios come up at points in your life.

For example, a person goes out, takes a cab to and from the bar, has a few too many, then has to get up for work early in the morning. They mostly just feel tired, but their blood alcohol level is still higher than it should be. If a homeless person runs out in front of their car, they instantly become a cold-blooded-killer. If not, they're just a normal person who is out doing their job.

I know this isn't exactly what happened with Stallworth, but things like this don't make-or-break a person's character. If you're just saying everyone who has ever driven under the influence is a killer (or potential killer), then there's really no point to be made here, and no reason to single out Stallworth, since I still contend that most NFL players will have been in this type of borderline situation sometime between high school, college, and the pros.

And you guys were giving Cincinnati grief over signing Matt Jones! I'm laughing my ass off!

Matt Jones has a two year+ record of run-ins with the police. I'll take the guy with one mark on this record who accepted the punishment, cooperated and did everything asked of him, acknowledged the mistake and is on his second chance rather than the guy who was arrested at gun point, opted for jail rather than professional help so it wouldn't interfere with training camp and then failed a second drug test and is subsequently on this fourth try which includes a reported sub-par workout.

Enjoy that laugh.

• Upvote 1

Matt Jones has a two year+ record of run-ins with the police. I'll take the guy with one mark on this record who accepted the punishment, cooperated and did everything asked of him, acknowledged the mistake and is on his second chance rather than the guy who was arrested at gun point, opted for jail rather than professional help so it wouldn't interfere with training camp and then failed a second drug test and is subsequently on this fourth try which includes a reported sub-par workout.

Enjoy that laugh.

There's no dead bodies involved with Jones. Still laughing.

There's no dead bodies involved with Jones. Still laughing.

The "dead body" is not the issue here; it's the drug-use (cocaine and alcohol alike) and poor decision-making. Stallworth did not get in trouble because he hit somebody; he got in trouble because he decided to drive while under the influence.

How many of us have gotten behind the wheel and shouldn't have in some point in our lives? How many text message and talk on your phone while driving knowing it can cause accidents? Only difference is we were lucky.

Thumbs down to this. As if it makes it ok. And I can honestly say I've never been behind the wheel when I shouldn't have. And I never plan to. No sympathy for those that make that mistake - my family and friends included.

Thumbs down to the move too.

I'm shocked that you've never been behind a wheel at a time where you would've failed a sobriety test. This is an extremely common occurrence, and by that I mean many people have been in that situation at least once. Overreacting to this is like how grandparents talk about marijuana as if it's uncommon and the most evil thing in the world, when we actually realize how common it is. The people I've been exposed to who would drive a little too soon after driving a drink are not habitually bad or troublesome... they're just regular people.

I can't believe this is your defense.

If anything, society doesn't act enough when it comes to handling drunk driving. Most people I know with a DUI got away with a 'class,' probation and some service. How about suspended license, massive fine and threat of serious jailtime.

It's not "Stallworth was unlucky." It's every other person that gets away with is lucky. And that's pathetic. That we allow such ridiculous and negligent behavior to continue with wrist slaps.

Maybe we all wouldn't know so many people who have driven under the influence if there were actual consequences and actual care taken by our justice system. How's this... instead of counting the number of people we know who've driven drunk, let's start tallying the number of people we know who've been killed by a drunk driver. I believe my tally is at 5.

Classy.

Just his own, which is a work in progress.

Oh puhlease. Matt Jones got popped on a cocaine charge just as many times as Jamal Lewis did when he was a Raven! All I'm saying is don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house.

Guest BallTMore

Not a fan of this move either.

I've never been a big fan of the drinking excuses. "I cheated because/I drove because." It's BS.

It's common knowledge that alcohol effects your mind. You know this before you even take a sip. Have a plan. Take a cab, or limit your alcohol intake.

I can't believe this is your defense.

If anything, society doesn't act enough when it comes to handling drunk driving. Most people I know with a DUI got away with a 'class,' probation and some service. How about suspended license, massive fine and threat of serious jailtime.

It's not "Stallworth was unlucky." It's every other person that gets away with is lucky. And that's pathetic. That we allow such ridiculous and negligent behavior to continue with wrist slaps.

Maybe we all wouldn't know so many people who have driven under the influence if there were actual consequences and actual care taken by our justice system. How's this... instead of counting the number of people we know who've driven drunk, let's start tallying the number of people we know who've been killed by a drunk driver. I believe my tally is at 5.

Thank you. I can't believe I went that far going on my own.

What is the rationale? That he was just over the limit? Uh, no. His BAC was (I believe) .126. Why do people continue to say that he slept it off and then went out? He'd just partied for five hours, and ADMITTED to four shots and two margaritas. Does anyone here drink that much and think they're okay?

He paid his dues? 24 days in prison, a thousand community service hours, and a loss of license? Are you kidding me?

Many of you guys, or people you know, do it? That makes it better?

The realization that he KILLED someone hasn't come to mind?

Maybe you don't care about the person who died, but you would if that person mattered to you. And you'd feel a lot differently about this acquisition.

No, driving under the influence isn't cool. But, there are a lot of equally distractive things I bet all of you high and mighties do that have equally as distructive implications. I say this from experience. I got seriously injured in a car accident because of a 17 year old on her friggin cell phone who wasn't paying any attention to me. So like I said, don't judge and cast stones.

No, driving under the influence isn't cool. But, there are a lot of equally distractive things I bet all of you high and mighties do that have equally as distructive implications. I say this from experience. I got seriously injured in a car accident because of a 17 year old on her friggin cell phone who wasn't paying any attention to me. So like I said, don't judge and cast stones.

I don't touch my cell phone in the car, my music is never particularly loud, and I always obey the speed limit. I think I'm pretty free to judge and cast stones.

If that 17 year old was intoxicated instead of on her cell phone, and had killed instead of injured you (which I'm sorry to hear, by the way), would you be okay with her receiving a 24 day jail sentence and receiving a job with a $900,000 salary within a year?

No one is suggesting that Stallworth did the right thing, or that he should receive a medal for his actions. I totally agree with everything you said. Drunk driving is terrible, it sucks when people get killed because of it, and there should be much harsher penalties when it is done. That is not the point at all. The POINT is that Stallworth did not act in an uncommon manner, and he should not be the scapegoat for something that is entirely too common in this society. Americans love to single out individuals (Tigers Woods? Steroids-users?) for messing up in ways that are way more common than anyone would like to admit.

Stallworth messed up, but not because he killed somebody.

I don't touch my cell phone in the car, my music is never particularly loud, and I always obey the speed limit. I think I'm pretty free to judge and cast stones.

Well good for you...that means you are free from all of the concerns an worries the rest of the population is plagued with.

I don't care if it was intoxication vs. cell phone use. Both are conscious decisions made which lead to potentially fatal results. Since you are perfect and don't do anything abusive in a vehicle, my message doesn't apply to you. But the majority do selfish actions which lead to undesirable results.

Oh puhlease. Matt Jones got popped on a cocaine charge just as many times as Jamal Lewis did when he was a Raven! All I'm saying is don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house.

He never got popped as a Raven, his set up happened when he was a Volunteer..

If that's all you're saying, perhaps you shouldn't be laughing as you claim to be given the track record of Bengals in trouble with the law.

On another note, I love discussions like these. It really helps me determine what type of people everyone is (or thinks they are), what's in their hearts (malice, lol.), whom to share information with and what kind, who to trust, etc. So, thanks.

If that's all you're saying, perhaps you shouldn't be laughing as you claim to be given the track record of Bengals in trouble with the law.

On another note, I love discussions like these. It really helps me determine what type of people everyone is (or thinks they are), what's in their hearts (malice, lol.), whom to share information with and what kind, who to trust, etc. So, thanks.

Wow! The discussion is indeed endless but telling- its almost suited for Oprah. I wonder whether this guy will actually make the regular season roster ?

I like the signing.... yea he killed someone, but who hasn't? Oh sorry that was my Terrele Pryor moment.

I don't think he is a bad person.... def made a mistake, but alot of people make bad bad mistakes. An old person driving ,tired person driving or a person without their contacts could have done the same thing. It was dark and the guy ran across the road ILLEGALLY and got hit.

If a house robber breaks into your house and you shoot them and kill them...does that make you a cold blooded killer? I mean your protecting your family and your property.

I really like this signing!

It is low risk, high reward signing. We got him for a measly $900,000 which is peanuts in the NFL. He is a former 1st rounder that still has legit speed and has proved to be effective in the past. He immediately becomes the second best WR on the team behind Mason (provided Mason returning). He will definitely make the roster!

Alone this move means little but in the grand scheme of things I think it will add up to something great!

I could see Oz now targeting Floyd or Antonio Bryant (?TO, not likely). And we should add 2 WR within the 1st 5 rounds of the draft.

Therefore it would be great if our depth @ WR is:

Floyd/Bryant/?TO

Mason (pending retirement issue)

Stallworth

Clayton

D. Thomas/A. Benn/D. Williams (1st-2nd Rounder)

Briscoe/Shipley/Gilyard/Mike Williams/Riley Cooper/Andre Roberts/Freddie Barnes (3rd-5th Rounder)

Furthermore, if we take a TE somewhere in there (which we should) then we are looking at a dynamic receiving corps!

TE to consider:

Gresham (Round 1)

Aaron Hernandez or Rob Gronkowski (Round 2)

Anthony McCoy, Ed Dickson or Dennis Pitta (Round 3)

Jimmy Graham (Round 5-6)