ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

World Cup Soccer

cravnravn

I dont mind the lack of scoring, its the lack of overall scoring chances that ends up boring me. If there was a lot of action by the goals I'd be more interested even if the scores were the same. I think Spain had one shot in the first half yesterday and the Dutch had 3.

I like the tournament structure and think they are great athletes (and actors!) but I just dont enjoy the game itself. Oh well everyone likes different things.

agreed spen, it's the lack of real chances that turn off many people, but let's admit this finals matchup was one of midfielders determining the game, and both attacking ends would get what they could create, so I wasn't surprised that it was a big stalemate for much of the match. also a good bit of bullying and flopping, but the thing that bothered me was the readiness of the ref to pull the card rather than let the teams play through. I think the only thing that would have been lost with less whistles is time; the match may have been resolved in regulation, but I still feel Spain was the deserving team. I still love the game moreso than the current structure (I'd love to go back to golden goal, and I don't like the goal-differential criterion in group play). I can wait for goals as long as the officiating doesn't dictate the results, this year's tournament was pock-marked with ill-fated referree-ing.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Millz... disagree about the ref. The Dutch were being downright dirty and admitted as much. They were rough all through the tourney, but within reason. But against Uruguay they turned it up a notch, especially their enforcers Van Bommel (?) and Jong. Then, in the final they did it again.

Really, many more Dutch players had the opportunity to be sent off and the official was far too lenient in allowing it to go on... it set a tone and that rough play really limited the scoring. Spain eventually had to start getting more aggressive in that manor too... while the Dutch thought it was more worthwhile to beat up the fast guys than try to outrun them. Sad.