ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Who to watch tonight

vmax

I'll be sitting in my purple seat for the first time this year. :gorave:

1. QB Joe Flacco
Now is the time to truly see if the veteran quarterback's relatively quick return to the field and his sharp-looking camp appearances can truly translate into a real, live game against a first-string defense. Flacco has shown all the arm, mobility and field vision he had before, but his return has been one of the most underplayed stories of the summer, probably due to Flacco's usual matter-of-fact, laid-back approach. Even in a game in which starters play into the third quarter, don't look for Flacco to be extended nearly that far.

2. LT Ronnie Stanley
With the intensity ramped up during the third preseason game, it's time for Stanley to step up his game even further. The rookie first-round pick from Notre Dame has more than held his own throughout the first two August contests; in fact, according to Pro Football Focus, he has graded out better than any rookie at any position in the league. There's a reason players like this are solid, safe picks, lacking the sizzle and color fans might look for in other prospects: it's because they know their job, they've done it against top-flight competition and they can adjust to the speed of the pro game.

3. WR Mike Wallace
Maybe it will take Flacco's first appearance of the preseason to get Wallace untracked. He sat out the opener against Carolina and wasn't targeted at all in Indianapolis. Practice-field chemistry is one thing, but it's time to see if Flacco's customary deep balls can be high-pointed and caught by the still-speedy Wallace, who recently turned 30. Plus, if fellow speedsters Breshad Perriman and Chris Moore aren't fully healthy or ready to play -- and Moore did play well against the Colts -- it will be up to Wallace to stretch the field practically by himself.https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/08/26/ten-ravens-to-watch-in-preseason-matchup-against-lions

Watson's done for the year and our best running back goes down with a knee injury.

It's a shame too because offense was really rolling with Dixon running.

If it hadn't been for those 2 things it would have a great night.

Suggs and Flacco looked like their normal selves.

Mallet was impressive tonight.

And, he'll, we even picked off Stanford!

Loved what I saw from the defensive line, both starters and some of the back ups. Judon is a non stop beast, I hope he can stay healthy and keep that motor for a full game.

The secondary is still a concern, if it is not a lapse in coverage it is a penalty. Orr took a slight step back, but he still out played Mosley, who was out of position on most of the plays, late, getting caught in the wash, over pursuing.

On offense, the rookie tackle showed what we thought; struggled with strong bull rushers, giving up a few pressures, almost two sacks. He did not fair much better in the run game, unable to even cut off his man on back side blocks. It will likely take a full NFL year for him to build the strength he needs. Even so, as a unit, I thought the first team line did a great job against the big uglies of the Lions.

The wide outs, boy, nice, real nice group, it is awesome to say. Even IF they keep six, some very good young talent will be let go. Moore continues to show great hands, a nice surprised and shows he worked hard this off season. It is a numbers game though, I think he lands on the practice squad if he makes it through waivers. I think the Reynolds goes there as well.

Smith Sr, Wallace, He who shall not be named, Aiken, locks. Then who? Butler has shown growth from last year, is a hard worker, tall & strong, can play inside or outside, Camp, quick, dependable hands & body control, slot man, but can he stay healthy?

That is five right there leaving, likely, Mathews, (hardly used this pre season) & Moore, Reynolds. The rest are just camp bodies... This should be interesting.

Levine III made another great play, peeling back in his zone coverage, recognizing a route. But how many db's will they keep? Defensive lineman?

Most of this team is young, and there is talent there that may take a year or so to reach their full potential. Should be fun to watch...

Loved what I saw from the defensive line, both starters and some of the back ups. Judon is a non stop beast, I hope he can stay healthy and keep that motor for a full game.

The secondary is still a concern, if it is not a lapse in coverage it is a penalty. Orr took a slight step back, but he still out played Mosley, who was out of position on most of the plays, late, getting caught in the wash, over pursuing.

On offense, the rookie tackle showed what we thought; struggled with strong bull rushers, giving up a few pressures, almost two sacks. He did not fair much better in the run game, unable to even cut off his man on back side blocks. It will likely take a full NFL year for him to build the strength he needs. Even so, as a unit, I thought the first team line did a great job against the big uglies of the Lions.

The wide outs, boy, nice, real nice group, it is awesome to say. Even IF they keep six, some very good young talent will be let go. Moore continues to show great hands, a nice surprised and shows he worked hard this off season. It is a numbers game though, I think he lands on the practice squad if he makes it through waivers. I think the Reynolds goes there as well.

Smith Sr, Wallace, He who shall not be named, Aiken, locks. Then who? Butler has shown growth from last year, is a hard worker, tall & strong, can play inside or outside, Camp, quick, dependable hands & body control, slot man, but can he stay healthy?

That is five right there leaving, likely, Mathews, (hardly used this pre season) & Moore, Reynolds. The rest are just camp bodies... This should be interesting.

Levine III made another great play, peeling back in his zone coverage, recognizing a route. But how many db's will they keep? Defensive lineman?

Most of this team is young, and there is talent there that may take a year or so to reach their full potential. Should be fun to watch...

Love that Levine kid. He needs to be in the starting D- either as LB or safety. LB might make sense since he can actually cover TEs going across the middle. Regardless, he's a dang playmaker - something the current D lacks - and they need this dude on the starting D.

They have to keep Moore. He's just way too good. He's almost like Boldin in the fact that if the ball gets near him, then he's the only one who will get it. He's got great size and speed.

So long Matthews.

Butler has become a flat out playmaker. Got to keep him. This is his year.

I don't see Smith being effective this year. It's not logical. Of course, Steve is beyond logic. I'd love to see him have a great comeback but at this point in time I don't see him or Perryman being able to make it through a full season. Therefore the huge need to keep Moore and Butler. Wallace, Moore, Butler and Aiken can more than get the job done. They would flourish.

Campanaro????? They need a punt returner. He's not the playmaking threat like the other guys and he can't stay healthy. Can't help this team in a cameo role.

Looks like Reynolds is gone. Nice punt return last night but...........maybe....I'm stretching it....they look at him like a 3rd string back up emergency QB, return man, special teams guy and work in progress...and miss congeniality feel good story. :yeah:

Good analysis TS. Man I loved what I saw from Wallace. I think he has a really good chance to be what he was when he always killed us in Pittsburgh.

With Flacco it seems he either likes you right away and throws your way, or he isn't comfortable and that rapport never develops. Flacco and Wallace have an instant rapport, it's a great fit.

This might be the best group of receivers we've ever had. Aiken looks extremely strong catching the ball.

They have to keep Moore. He's just way too good. He's almost like Boldin in the fact that if the ball gets near him, then he's the only one who will get it. He's got great size and speed.

So long Matthews.

Butler has become a flat out playmaker. Got to keep him. This is his year.

I don't see Smith being effective this year. It's not logical. Of course, Steve is beyond logic. I'd love to see him have a great comeback but at this point in time I don't see him or Perryman being able to make it through a full season. Therefore the huge need to keep Moore and Butler. Wallace, Moore, Butler and Aiken can more than get the job done. They would flourish.

Campanaro????? They need a punt returner. He's not the playmaking threat like the other guys and he can't stay healthy. Can't help this team in a cameo role.

Looks like Reynolds is gone. Nice punt return last night but...........maybe....I'm stretching it....they look at him like a 3rd string back up emergency QB, return man, special teams guy and work in progress...and miss congeniality feel good story. :yeah:

I see Reynolds on the PS squad. Campy will be hurt within 6 weeks and Reynolds can be brought up to be the PR returner then.

The Ravens coaching staff has done a great job developing these players. the ravens back ups and rookies were better, faster, stronger and more mentally sharp than their opponents.

Great to see Perriman. I feeling real good as far as where this offense is going.

I am very pleased with the young depth along the defensive line, 2, 3 deep at each position if we count the players who can play multiple positions.

Quarterback, also very pleased, Mallet or Johnson will do a fine job should they be needed. Running back, also a solid position, good hands for the passing game, quickness, agility in the running game, 3, 4 deep if healthy. Fumbles and picking up the blitz bothers me a bit, but they are young....

Wide outs, a solid group there, speed, size, quickness, and, dependable hands, 5 almost 6 deep; Finally...

Offensive line, solid starters, some depth (1 maybe 2 players) at guard/center, but no depth at either tackle. That is scary.

Line backers, I am not sold on this group to cover man to man, even in zone they are late to get depth or width. They also tend to run around blocks, leaving big holes in the running game. They do blitz well....

Corners- ouch, a big, big ouch. Perhaps the biggest concern, the biggest question on the team. As a group they are a penalty waiting to happen, an expected big play per every 3 downs, expected....

Safeties- all I can do is shake my head. Weddle is all right, but either he lost a step or was just holding back a bit in the pre season. It was nice to see Brooks flying around last night, he showed excellent speed and awareness. I don't know if he did enough to make the team though. Sadly, none of them can cover very well. They seem to always be out of position, but hey, they can tackle....

It should be an interesting season, a lot of youth on this team, talented youth at every position. Moore has to stick, kick returner is his job hands down and he really fights for the ball when on offense. They may have to keep six receivers this year or trade one. If they try to sneak one onto the practice squad, they will be taken off waivers by some one.

I have no expectations for wins or losses, this truly is a year to sit back and see what the young bucks can do.... :gorave:

In another thread, I fell victim to too much negativity about this Ravens football team on this board. (I guess when everyone says they stink, you start to think like they do) I originally said they would go 12-4, but later said they were probably closer to an 8-8 team. My bad.

After watching this team during the exhibition season, and comparing them to last year, one blaring thing just screams at me. DEPTH. Wow, does this team have depth, perhaps the best in the NFL. That is why I am re- prognosticating.

8-8-no way. 12-4, yes, and the AFCN division winner. These guys are alot better than you think.

The Ravens coaching staff has done a great job developing these players. the ravens back ups and rookies were better, faster, stronger and more mentally sharp than their opponents.

Great to see Perriman. I feeling real good as far as where this offense is going.

The coaches have done a super job, especially on offense. There are loads of playmakers and there'll be one more when Dixon returns. Perriman took the top off the Saint's defense and got some work in. He holds great promise if he can just keep his wheels healthy. The defense---well, I'll be generous and call it a work in progress. Pass coverage isn't really too bad it's just that the DBs get out of position or fail to locate the ball. Finally, though I saw good tackling from the defense as a whole.

It's hard to say what this team is going to do this season. Right now they have a powerful offense and a sub-par defense.

In another thread, I fell victim to too much negativity about this Ravens football team on this board. (I guess when everyone says they stink, you start to think like they do) I originally said they would go 12-4, but later said they were probably closer to an 8-8 team. My bad.

After watching this team during the exhibition season, and comparing them to last year, one blaring thing just screams at me. DEPTH. Wow, does this team have depth, perhaps the best in the NFL. That is why I am re- prognosticating.

8-8-no way. 12-4, yes, and the AFCN division winner. These guys are alot better than you think.

The starting D looked very pedestrian. Not even the Saints #1s moved the ball way to easily.