ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Browns Game -Predictions ?

varaven45

hes ahead of last year but not where the media was putting him after that Miami game (on Mahomes Tier). I think its harsh to say he cant read defenses. He made some great reads in the first two games and even the last two games that we lost. The Andrews Td vs AZ was a great read. The boykins TD was a good read.

LJ is light years better than what Flacco have is the past few years - Im good with that.

I will say that given our recent defensive struggles the coaching staff needs to reasses how they use Lamar. We may need to return to a ball control offense like we had last year despite Lamars growth as a passer.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hes ahead of last year but not where the media was putting him after that Miami game (on Mahomes Tier). I think its harsh to say he cant read defenses. He made some great reads in the first two games and even the last two games that we lost. The Andrews Td vs AZ was a great read. The boykins TD was a good read.

LJ is light years better than what Flacco have is the past few years - Im good with that.

I will say that given our recent defensive struggles the coaching staff needs to reasses how they use Lamar. We may need to return to a ball control offense like we had last year despite Lamars growth as a passer.

Agree with all of that.

Lamar is developing, he's going to be inconsistent for a while. He's throwing to the tight ends because they have good hands and fight for the ball. The WRs aren't getting open anyhow, and I wouldn't place much trust in them either way.

Luckily Harbaugh has often been good at figuring things out and making adjustments.

Better to lose and make adjustments in September then in December.

when has harbs been good at figuring things out? i can only guess that he is good at adjusting his junk bc he makes almost none on a football field.p

All in all a very disappointing performance that alarms me. I thought we looked kind of flat coming out to play as if the KC game had taken away their aura of invincibility. The offense had a good running attack but the offense didn't have a clue in the first 3 quarters. But what really killed us was the crappy defense. They are still having the same 'communication' breakdowns they had in the first 3 games and this time it really bit them in the ass. Communication has not improved one iota. I think losing Weddle's brain was a bigger blow than we thought. Who in hell is the on-field communicator for the secondary? And Thomas has not been what I was expecting by a long shot.

it looks as if thomas left his best ball i sea. the last couple of yrs there he was injury prone. that was a pretty bad break. i was worried this was an option when they signed him.

Give the Browns credit. Their offensive game plan was excellent. Their D bent but did not break.

This loss is all on the D and coaching....and Eric. 6 straight scoring drives for Cleveland. Game over.

They really missed Williams, Smith and Young. It is evident how much they are missed.

Loved how Humphrey shut down Beckham, and choked him after Beckham took a swing at him. :thumbup:

The offense is fine and will only get better as the season wears on from what I saw Sunday. My concern is points scored. They get the yardage but it seems they are stuck at averaging around 24 points per game since Lamar started. I have to look that up to be sure. 24 will not be enough.

It's going to be a long season and hopefully a fight to the finish. :gorave:

With all due respect ORz, we can debate whether or not he can read a defense, the fact is, we just do not know for sure. We don't know the play called, what his progessions are, so I was speaking out of frustration; he is not terrible.

I can point to just as many times when it appeares he misread the defense, threw to the wrong man as anyone can who will point to plays he did read/ throw to the right man.

He is going to struggle, but to say he is different than last year, sorry, I disagree. So far, other than the Miami game, even then there were some, he has not shown touch, he has gotten "lucky" with several hail mary passes that his receivers fought for the ball against tight man, in one case, KC, against 2 defenders.

Sure, this past game saw a few drops, but so far this year, these guys are making tough catches; they can be trusted.

Lamar has not consistantly thrown timing passes, maybe two this entire season. He has the best amount of time, consistantly, that any qb has had here in a long time; without the need to scramble.

Enough time to read, and make the right throw on time.

My example is back in the KC game, in the redzone. Man coverage, slot to the left, Brown on the outside, Andrews in the slot. Based on the position of the db's, it was clear where the throw should have gone.

We know for certain this was the play because Lamar looked center to left at the snap.

The db on Andrews had inaide leverage, Andrews was doing an out toute to the side of the endzone, Brown, a simole comback route. If thrown on time, first read, it is an easy touchdown. But Lamar instead held the ball and scrambled.

As I said, he should learn, this is just one play and we can go back & forth with plays to suit our side.

But this is exactly what he was doing last year, and in college and also why, without seeing the all 22 film, I believe there were open receivers yeaterday on time, if Lamar had read properly and thrown on time.

Maybe we just need to be more patient, we knew there would be days like that with this team, no one should expect a super bowl right, this team is too young and inexperienced. We need to just relax and right?

it looks as if thomas left his best ball i sea. the last couple of yrs there he was injury prone. that was a pretty bad break. i was worried this was an option when they signed him.

He and B Williams got into it after the game. Thomas went after Williams in the training room, something about Williams not playing, no specifics...

Give the Browns credit. Their offensive game plan was excellent. Their D bent but did not break.

This loss is all on the D and coaching....and Eric. 6 straight scoring drives for Cleveland. Game over.

They really missed Williams, Smith and Young. It is evident how much they are missed.

Loved how Humphrey shut down Beckham, and choked him after Beckham took a swing at him. :thumbup:

The offense is fine and will only get better as the season wears on from what I saw Sunday. My concern is points scored. They get the yardage but it seems they are stuck at averaging around 24 points per game since Lamar started. I have to look that up to be sure. 24 will not be enough.

It's going to be a long season and hopefully a fight to the finish. :gorave:

You are right Max, there are some good signs; the line has played well in each game, well enough to win. Even without Lamar's scrambling for rushing yards, this line is opening holes and pass protecting well.

My two cents :

The offense is good and progressing in spurts. Lamar and the running game are strong; passing game is dysfunctional now.

Over time, 1-2 years, he either figures it out or doesn't.

Defense is hurting, esp w/o Williams, Smith and Young. The safety duo is woeful and communication is horrible.

I'd like for us to bench Jefferson and play Elliot and/or Clark instead maybe for both (Thomas and Jefferson).

Pass rush is non-existent and non-complementary with our secondary. It cannot be fixed now; only covered up.

Eric D et. al. will need to fortify our LB and secondary in the 2020 draft.

Until then, its hang on and hope for the best ! We are 2-2, tied for first in AFCN, and anything can happen.

I think Lamar is doing fine for his second year. Yesterday was the first time I saw him throw a ball into the dirt instead of the receiver and he used to do that several times a game last year. First INT after 238 throws or more. No fumbling like last year.

But Earl Thomas is another story. I really don't think he's bought into the defensive system Wink is using. He admitted that in camp he was having a hard time adjusting to it. If he ain't adjusted by now I think he's a liability. He also doesn't seem to be especially coach-able either. I don't think he likes it here.

Back to Lamar for a second...I'd like to see the coaching staff work with him on getting the ball out a little faster. The last 3 quarterbacks we've played are masters at it. The price for doing that will be accepting the fact that an NFL QB throws an INT every once in a while.

Now, the linebackers are a mess. None of them is having the season they did last year. Ditto for the secondary which is missing Jimmy and Tavon.

The buck stops with the defense. We have all the tools on offense...but the defense doesn't seem to have a clue. Didn't think I'd be saying this but they miss Weddle's brain, Suggs' leadership and experience, Mosley's tackling in the middle and the pressure from Z. Smith. I say this even though Weddle lost a step covering, Mosley could never cover but he did well on blitzing and tackling game. It appears we didn't find good replacements for any of those guys.

Overall, this team is not ready for playoffs...it will take another successful draft and free agency to rebuild the defense. I think Wink has done all he can do with the talent he has now. They've been trying to play defense by using exotic schemes that the players don't comprehend too. Not as smart a group as a whole as last year's.

The buck stops with the defense. We have all the tools on offense...but the defense doesn't seem to have a clue. Didn't think I'd be saying this but they miss Weddle's brain, Suggs' leadership and experience, Mosley's tackling in the middle and the pressure from Z. Smith. I say this even though Weddle lost a step covering, Mosley could never cover but he did well on blitzing and tackling game. It appears we didn't find good replacements for any of those guys.

Overall, this team is not ready for playoffs...it will take another successful draft and free agency to rebuild the defense. I think Wink has done all he can do with the talent he has now. They've been trying to play defense by using exotic schemes that the players don't comprehend too. Not as smart a group as a whole as last year's.

You nailed it. especially what we miss from Mosley, Weddle, Smith and Suggs. I don't think we have this huge collapse. There would be some drop off but not like this. This D has dropped into a black hole.

I think most of us thought next year is the year for this team to be a legit contender. Yet other than a few teams, it's a wide open run for the playoffs.

Parity rules.

I always thought the loss of Mosley would hurt. We didn't have a signal caller for the D out there. But losing over a 3rd of your leadership no matter how good you are is going to hurt.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^