ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Preston: It’s time for the Ravens and Lamar Jackson to part ways

vmax

CINCINNATI — Now that the Ravens’ season is officially over, the team should begin to search out a trade for quarterback Lamar Jackson and shut down the experimental run-oriented offense designed by coordinator Greg Roman.

This “revolutionary offense,” a phrase coined by coach John Harbaugh, hasn’t worked out. Enough is enough.....Mike Preston: It’s time for the Ravens and Lamar Jackson to part ways | COMMENTARY – Baltimore Sun

We've had a lot of discussion on this and now this issue's time has come. I'm torn on this. 

2 years in a row he hasn't been there when we needed him the most in December and November. 

Here's what got to my core from Preston; "The Ravens proved something to themselves Sunday night in a 24-17 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals in an AFC wild-card playoff game: They can go toe-to-toe with one of the top teams in the NFL without Jackson."

I read this and think, "Yea and if Lamar was healthy, then we win this game and go deep in the playoffs."

I also think Lamar is not the best QB in the league, yet he is definitely franchise material. Do we pay him as the best and then start losing pieces that we have due to CAP limitations?

I don't want to lose what's building on defense and with our RB's and O line. Would we ever be able to afford or sign a receiver? We saw first-hand that we can win big with them. 

I want him back... ONLY IF ... it's right player/right price. Not the massive Watson guaranteed money. 

Yep, agreed and if not already a long, foregone conclusion we move on w/o Lamar and OC.    But who and when? 

As many have pointed out, it may take 1-2 years to transition to a new system although a strong running game, OL and defense will keep us competitive.

Knowing that, I'd be fine with "biting the bullet", acquiring a bridge QB this year, and drafting the franchise guy in '24. 

My two cents..... 

From 2001 until we got Flacco we wasted a great defense trying to find a QB so I'm gun shy of pulling the trigger.

On the other side ... We saw what happened to the 2000 roster after we mortgaged the future. The "mortgaging" put us in the position for the "Big Purge." We couldn't afford anybody.

No matter what, a decision has to be made. 

Some sort of offensive rebuild has to happen.

20 minutes ago, vmax said:

I see that but Who do they get? they have to change the offensive scheme for most QB's.

It may still be Lamar, if he wants to play here. The system is not that different, though some would say it is, including the Ravens. They saw Huntley every day since they drafted him, they knew his limitations, yet stayed with him. He is always someone who tries to do more than his abilities, admirable, until it leads to big mistakes as we have seen.

That scares me a little. Sure they drafted Joe and Lamar, but they also brought in Elvis. Like Joe, they never built around him, a statue who needs a good line. I still remember that play in Pit, in the playoffs. Q streaking free after a double move, Elvis about to him for a long touchdown, but the turn style Swayne leads his man Olay, Elvis is hit as he threw, pick.. changed the game..

They drafted Boller, hoping he would turn into Josh Allen, we saw glimpses, but like Huntley, just has the pension to make the bone headed mistake.

So then it was McNair, may he rest in peace. Loved seeing him in camp, a real fan friendly guy. But that was a bust, shockingly.

I truly believe if the Ravens had Hinkley, Commandos qb, they win last night. He is slightly better than Huntley, but is limited as we saw with them.

Trading for and taking on Carr's contract is not viable. Easily better than Huntley, but the cost is too high.

Trading for an unproven player like say the other qb the Commandos have, Sam Howell, he can run this offense, has tasted the NFL, but will they trade him?

The draft has a number of potentials, you know who I prefer, Will Levis, like Howell, has the tools to run this offense.. here I go rambling again, sorry..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tsylvester said:

I think we can all agree that with better qb play, the Ravens not only win that game, but likely win 14 in the regular season.

What does this tell us? That we don't need a super hero to win games, just someone better than Huntley. Game over

Agree plus a new OC who can get rid of this problematic offensive scheme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tsylvester said:

I think we can all agree that with better qb play, the Ravens not only win that game, but likely win 14 in the regular season.

What does this tell us? That we don't need a super hero to win games, just someone better than Huntley. Game over

I think Huntley played a good game seeing how it’s a prime time wild card game. Honestly if Lamar had played we would’ve been out of it by the 2nd to 3rd quarter. Huntley can run for his life most of the time with our porous line. He also can throw to the sidelines and with education and direction get rid of the ball quicker than Lamar ever will. I’m for letting Lamar go and possibly getting at least 1 first round draft pick. Lamar’s best years are behind him. He’s long in the tooth with his style of play. He was a nice flash in the pan. He’s not taking any team to the Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 1

So he is a Vick or RGII, is what you are saying? Perhaps, but he clearly tried to be a pocket passer this season before he got hurt. Yes, he struggled on throws outside the numbers, especially down the sidelines. No, he can't yet drop a dime into a barrel 20 yards down field along the sidelines.

No, I don't think inking him to the deal he wants is warranted, the one the Ravens reportedly offered okay, sure.

Why,? Simply put, this team is put together for the next 3-5 years to make several runs at the Silver Betty. As I said, clearly, even with the poor play calling/design, the redzone too boot, with a better qb than Huntley, who yes did play his best game to date, this team wins 14 games this past season, and last night. Lamar, healthy, is better than Huntley.

I've said for many weeks I wanted to see Huntley get his shot with the full first team, see if it was better. It was not. Yes, he gets the ball out quickly when it is there, but his limited arm strength and pension for trying to do more than he can kills this team's chance of winning, see the games he has played last year & this for proof.

As Max noted, who else is there for next year and the year after?

1 Draft pick for Lamar is not enough. With that you might get lucky and get a really raw rookie in the draft.

Even then, let him start, it is 2 years wasted, Purdy's don't come along every year, even then, their play caller and designer is top shelf, not so much here. So that is two years, if he pans out, of wasting this defense, the running game.

Lamar might take the next step, seeing the field better, hitting those pen shots when the defense clogs the line, the middle, as they did this year.

With our first rounder back from injury, Bateman, that should bode well for this passing game, with Robinson, Andrews, maybe spend the draft capital and get a real burner to streak through the middle, pull the safeties back, open up the deep middle for Lamar. Who knows.

I was for letting him go, 2 first round picks, but it is slim pickings and if he wants to stay, at the right price, let him evolve here, I think he might.

Vick and RGIII never did, Vick did by the end of his career to some extent, but by then it was too late. Griffith never could read a defense.

Tsy,  I think after the Head coach and OL domino falls, the team either acquires a bridge QB (e.g. Washington's Heineke, etc.), drafts another while keeping Huntley or Brown.

Btw- no one's talking about it but it's a shame Brown didn't get on the field last night.

Whatever the Biscuit of FO decide, its a DAMN big one and will impact the team for 10 years.   Would love to position ourselves for either the USC, Oregon or UNC QB in 24.

• Upvote 1

Bye Lamar. He is 1-3 in the playoffs and didn't bother to travel with the team for their playoff game. Maybe help guide the starting quarterback in his place, talk him up, be a leader. But, he wants to be the highest paid QB in the league. Maybe when he puts up the numbers, wins, accuracy, and reliability as Mahomes or Allen. Hell, Joe Burrow has more playoff wins.

Disney Reaction GIF

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Dee is right...hell you all are right. Lamar wants too much money for what he gives us which is a playoff game win or 2 over his 5 year career. I also didn't like it that he didn't even bother to accompany the team to Cincy for a playoff game. He's not showing leadership when he snubs the team like that. And you can't pay a player big money when he misses 4-5 games a year.

But who to get as a bridge QB? I'm not sold on anyone but is Baker Mayfield an option? He had decent stats with the Rams once he got away from the Carolina armpit.

I want us to get 2 #1's for Lamar. I think Will Levis has good potential and wouldn't mind us dealing to draft him.

The running backs and tight ends are solid. The O-line is mediocre. The D is fabulous. We aren't that far away from being a big dog team. Trade Lamar and make him happy and the city that gets him happy and the fans here happy.

But at the very least get rid of Roman and his 'style' of offense!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, vmax said:

From 2001 until we got Flacco we wasted a great defense trying to find a QB so I'm gun shy of pulling the trigger.

On the other side ... We saw what happened to the 2000 roster after we mortgaged the future. The "mortgaging" put us in the position for the "Big Purge." We couldn't afford anybody.

No matter what, a decision has to be made. 

Some sort of offensive rebuild has to happen.

Ozzie put no effort into trying to get Brees.  McNair was so used up but lets trade for him and give him a big contract.

10 hours ago, tsylvester said:

It may still be Lamar, if he wants to play here. The system is not that different, though some would say it is, including the Ravens. They saw Huntley every day since they drafted him, they knew his limitations, yet stayed with him. He is always someone who tries to do more than his abilities, admirable, until it leads to big mistakes as we have seen.

That scares me a little. Sure they drafted Joe and Lamar, but they also brought in Elvis. Like Joe, they never built around him, a statue who needs a good line. I still remember that play in Pit, in the playoffs. Q streaking free after a double move, Elvis about to him for a long touchdown, but the turn style Swayne leads his man Olay, Elvis is hit as he threw, pick.. changed the game..

They drafted Boller, hoping he would turn into Josh Allen, we saw glimpses, but like Huntley, just has the pension to make the bone headed mistake.

So then it was McNair, may he rest in peace. Loved seeing him in camp, a real fan friendly guy. But that was a bust, shockingly.

I truly believe if the Ravens had Hinkley, Commandos qb, they win last night. He is slightly better than Huntley, but is limited as we saw with them.

Trading for and taking on Carr's contract is not viable. Easily better than Huntley, but the cost is too high.

Trading for an unproven player like say the other qb the Commandos have, Sam Howell, he can run this offense, has tasted the NFL, but will they trade him?

The draft has a number of potentials, you know who I prefer, Will Levis, like Howell, has the tools to run this offense.. here I go rambling again, sorry..

I dont think Boller was going to be great but I damn sure believe Billick made him worse.

Counter point here. It sounds liken his teammates want him long term...

"You can't let a guy like him go," Ravens defensive end Calais Campbell said. "There's always some new, exciting kid that has potential to go out there and be great. But this is a business of 'for sures' and 'knowns,' and you know who Lamar Jackson is. I think it's in the best interest of the Ravens organization to give him a long-term contract and make him 'the guy.'"...Ravens teammates stump for Lamar Jackson to get deal (espn.com)

"In my mind, I know he's going to be here," Ravens left tackle Ronnie Stanley said. "He's a competitor. He wants to win. This is his team, and this is his offense. The money is not the most important thing with Lamar. He really wants to win, contrary to popular belief."

Edited by vmax

I don't know. If money is not the most important thing then why didn't he sign the lucrative deal they offered last summer? Is it possibly because he isn't happy with the game planning and play calling either? Or are these guys just standing up for their brother in arms? I really don't know.

Harbaugh's indifference towards the end of the season makes me think he may walk away?  Long shot, but I don't see him getting let go.  

Roman's contract is up so he can just walk.  If he gets re-signed, damn...that will alienate the fan base.

• Upvote 1

What does this mean?

He really wants to win, contrary to popular belief

What or whose popular belief? Is he talking about the fans, who frankly don't count or shouldn't count in this equation? The media, who like the fans are just lookie lus, the coaches? Some of his teamates?

6 hours ago, GrubberRaven said:

Harbaugh's indifference towards the end of the season makes me think he may walk away?  Long shot, but I don't see him getting let go.  

Roman's contract is up so he can just walk.  If he gets re-signed, damn...that will alienate the fan base.

Harbaugh will be insulated for one or two more years if Roman is gone.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vmax said:

Counter point here. It sounds liken his teammates want him long term...

I dont care what the players think.  If you catered to them Turdy would not have been coach here at all.

10 hours ago, GrubberRaven said:

By now we should have seen a press release at the min if he is leaving.  Look at all the other OC firings already.