ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Finally!

oldno82

So Tebow makes OC's look good too?

No and the Broncos sucked on O with whomever was under center hence I don't get what the love of McCoy is all about. I will give you one thing though, he is able to get his teams to run the ball but then so did Hue Jackson and look where he is now.

My coach from high school would always play whoever was best. He did kick an all met FB off the team for being an ass. But if the guy is on the team play the best player.

That's fine. I disagree. You talk about a storm brewing with Harbaugh, but I think it would have been here much sooner had he let these players run over him. Remember year one when he booted Billick's cupcake training camps and actually forced guys to practice. Near mutiny, according to some news reports. But if he had dropped his ground not only is it possible the team would have underperformed, there's also little chance any player on the team would have respected him. He'd have been gone then.

5 straight years of consistent performance and playoffs, including a Super Bowl appearance if Evans and/or Cundiff don't choke, sounds like he might be in that happy medium.

I'd take 5 years of Harbaugh over 5 years of Billick (obviously not counting 2000) every day of the week.

There is a happy medium.

Billick got what 8 yrs to let them run wild?

I agree. I just disagree about where that medium is. As just posted... 5 years, 5 playoffs and at least a win each time... never done in the NFL in a coach's first five. Could chalk the first four up to a defense that carried him, I guess. Though, I wouldn't. But this year? Weak schedule? Sure. It was all luck. I just think he's closer to the happy medium than you give him credit for. We're in the right spot and now we've got McKinney as we need him.

I would say they did a little more than not screw it up.

I have said plenty of good things aboutthe Ravens.

Maybe had John made some changes before last yr they could have won a SB. He did keep Cam around.

Ok here are the stats:

217 of 426 (50.94%) Passing for 2708 Yards at 6.35 yards per attempt and 20 TDs and 13 INTs.

546 rush attempts for 2632 yards at 4.82 yards per rush and 11 TDs.

Not bad rushing numbers but an offense that averages less than 2 TDs per game isn't what I would call a little more than just screw up.

You know, reading all the reflections on the death of Earl Weaver today got me back to thinking about this topic... specifically a few of the items from players and others about how he never let anyone off the hook. You made a mistake, you owned it. And he never let his like or dislike for a player alter that - it was all about performance.

Perhaps that sounds to you like I'm going to recant on thinking McKinney should have played sooner. Nay. The opposite. Holding firmer now to the belief that Harbs must be doing something right in keeping a doghouse as far away from the playing field as possible.

Earl earned his name and his fame on a dedication to perfection and never letting anyone be the higher authority. If he was going to bench or even cut a player for stupid mistakes - and he certainly did, even his good ones - he was going to stick to it. If he says "well, crap, I need this guy to play now... so he's off the hook," his entire reputation is gone.

No one's scared of the 5'6 manager on the top step if you know he's not actually willing to pull you from the game...

Maybe if McKinney plays all year, we're playing this game in Baltimore instead of in New England. But maybe you don't give enough credit to Harbaugh for knowing/believing that this team could make it to a certain point without him. And maybe McKinney, and everyone else, needed to learn that lesson. And the lesson that when coach wants protection, dedication and a damn good answer for why you're making mistakes: you better have one.

Add-on...

Jim Palmer, on Earl:

Earl was a black-and-white manager and he kind of told you what your job description was going to be. He basically told you, "If you want to play on the Orioles, and you want to be a part of a successful formula, this is what you need to do and, if you didn't want to do it, I'll go find somebody else." And I know that's kind of tough love, but I don't think anybody, other than his wife Marianna, would describe him as a warm and fuzzy guy. But my relationship was, he gave me the ball before the game, we won, I won a lot of games and played on some very good teams, and we both ended up in the Hall of Fame. So did we have a love-hate relationship? Yeah. Did he shake my hand when I won? No. Because he didn't want to be my best friend. At the time, you'd maybe resent that. But, we got along.