ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Joe Flacco’s agent says he should be league’s highest paid QB

papasmurfbell

Oh dear, I knew it was coming but I didn't expect him to ask to be the best paid QB.

That is also a very poorly written article.

The franchise tag is the average of the top 5 salaries at his position. It is widely accepted the Brees' $20m per season is the highest contract. Therefore the average of the top 5 is likely to be a lot less than the highest paid. Therefore the franchise tag will be around the $18m number IMO and might be even lower.

While Joe's wins are amazing he still has a long way to go to rival the production of Brees, Manning, Brady etc. These guys have been paid, took up a huge chunk of their team's cap and had to carry their teams. I'm not sure Joe is ready to carry a team on his own and he would be better accepting less money so the team can keep a good supporting cast around him.

I can understand wanting to get paid and he will be paid, but accepting $16m per season instead of $20m would really help keep the team together and being the face of the franchise would mean having a chance to make that money back in endorsements.

I think this will settle out at 17-18 mil a year. But it may be that Joe just wants a 100M total contract. If that is true you could pay him in the neighborhood of $16 million a year for 6 years. I like the idea of incentives though.

I haven't thought about this yet but here's my first random thoughts....

8 weeks ago nobody would have said that Joe's worth that kind of money.

The Ravens are not World Champs without Joe. He did carry this team down the stretch.

They needed points in a hurry against Denver and the 49'ers because the D could not hold those teams down. Joe got then.

But it wasn't all Joe.

This explosion co-incided with Caldwell taking over and his new, reconfigured O line that bought him the time that he needed to look....spectacular.

If Joe doesn't have that moving forward, he may look like the Joe we know. But if he has the supporting cast he will look like Playoff Joe more often than not.

The D gives up way too many yards and points. Only the Redzone D saved them anmd don't expect that every year. Without Joe and a high scoring offense this team will be sub .500.

In any negotiation start as high as you can go. Therefore ask for top dollar. In this case, ask to be the highest paid QB in the NFL after such spectacular numbers and results in the playoffs. The Ravens counter and off we go.

Paying Joe doesn't guarantee anything. Rodgers and Brees have only 1 Super Bowl ring each and haven't been back since they won. Peyton only has 1 ring.

The price may seen ridiculous now, but it won't by year 5-6 as future QB's line up to cash in.

Yes....this will hurt the team as far as how many good players they can afford to keep each year.

Yes....this will hurt the team as far as how many good players they can afford to keep each year.

Thats true but the alternative---looking around for a QB as good as Joe---is even worse. It took the Ravens a looonnnggg time to get a quarterback even as good as he is.

Thats true but the alternative---looking around for a QB as good as Joe---is even worse. It took the Ravens a looonnnggg time to get a quarterback even as good as he is.

I absolutely agree. The alternative is unthinkable for me.

I can't take another Boller, Blake, GrBac, Mitchell, Banks, .....12 years of waiting for a good QB to put on a Ravens jersey.

When you put it that way I say "sign him."....with no hesitation.

Joe is just a great all around guy IMO. I'd love to see him here for many years to come.

Hell...he's young and just hitting his prime.

Here's more of what his agent said...

Joe Linta said Tuesday that his client should be the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL, and reiterated those comments Wednesday on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

"Well, is he gonna be? I don't know. Should he be? Absolutely," Linta said.

Linta praised the Ravens' front office as "pros," and downplayed the notion of a pending conflict with the team, but when asked about a target number for Flacco, he pointed to Peyton Manning's five-year, $96 million contract with the Denver Broncos, which includes $18 million guaranteed.

Some of Flacco's accomplishments fall far short Peyton's, of course, but Linta believes a deal can be struck by March for his Super Bowl-winning client.

"Yeah, absolutely," he said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000136816/article/joe-flacco-contract-an-absolute-certainty-agent-says

OK but he had some horrid games recently. That looks to be Cam's doing but Joe was there to execute the plays. If he plays like the man he can make up the difference.

he's never missed the playoffs... has more wins than ANY qb in the league since he was drafted. has more road playoff wins than ANY qb in the history of football. Has the same about of wins (9) was Brady in his first 5 years. Has a ring and a superbowl MVP. but you want to point out that he's had a few Horrid games. Name one QB that hasn't. I'm sure I remember a game this year when 3 of Payton's first 5 passes were INTs. I remember seeing Brady throw 4 INT in the first half vs Buffalo. I saw Brees throw 5 ints on MNF. Every QB has horrid games

Heres one thing that scares me, Matt Ryan has been in extension negotiations for a while, reports are that the contract will be 100 million, they have been compared and connected since Day 1, if the Falcons get Ryan done early and a big contract, then you know Linta wants a bigger and better contract for Joe..

Edited by cravnravn

$100 mil totals are old hat now. It is SB amount, yrs, and per yr average.

I do not look at an individual player and wins. Joe did nothing in the game from a few yrs back when he connected with 4 passes. If you give joe $20 mil a yr and he reverts to Cam mode then the Ravens are screwed.

Oh yeah doesn't Sanchez have a couple of AFCC starts? I guess he is worth $100 mil too.

• Downvote 1

If u look at every superbowl winning qb in nfl history every single one was a franchise qb, dilfer and brad johnson were the only two that u could argue. It took the ravens organization 17 years to find one. It doesnt matter what it costs, u pay him market value or more. The hardest part of building our team is done now. You can always find more running backs, recievers and lineman that can play football but you cant just flip through the yellow pages and find a qb that you trust to lead your team for the next ten years. We can restructure guys, draft younger guys, find cheaper free agents. The cap goes up next season anyway