ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Joe Flacco’s agent says he should be league’s highest paid QB

papasmurfbell

50 million? Now your just being ridiculous as always trying to exaggerate a point to belittle someone elses opinion. Im talking about paying him around 20 a season.

Tell us papa what would an expert GM/financial advisor/talent scout such as yourself do here? Offer joe 16 million as a slap in the face? Tell him to take it or walk? Turn over the reigns to tyrod taylor and spend all your savings resigning reed and boldin and leech and kruger and ellerbie? Draft a qb and groom him to be superbowl mvp then cut him when his contract is up again and repeat this cycle

How about 16 with incentives to 20.

You did say it doesn't matter what it costs. If it doesn't matter pay him 50.

So if you can always find OL lets let Bryant leave and have Reid play LG next to Oher at LT. KO goes back to RT. You don't think it matters. I said RB's don't matter but people were adamant about giving Rice what he wanted. Also I think it is 2 more yrs of flat caps before it starts going up.

• Downvote 1

They are going to sign Flacco and it will be for a lot of money.

That's a fact. A reality they will have to deal with as far as the CAP and getting a competetive 2013 roster.

It's a fixed point....so the focus goes to how will they get the players that they need to put together a playoff caliber team.

They talked about that today...

You guys are always mindful about not putting things on the credit card as far as cap goes, and you’ve already mentioned that you’re not going to re-do a bunch of deals just to repeat, but there is availability for cap space, specifically with some of your larger-ticket players. How do you balance the not credit card versus not much cap space? (Glenn Younes)

(NEWSOME) “I think over the course of the last two years, we’ve probably re-done two deals – [Marshal] Yanda last year. The only time we consider restructuring guys’ deals is [if] there is a player that comes available that we think has great value and is worth us restructuring a deal to get it done. But it also, it has to be a player that we think has a pretty good chance of playing out his contract, because that’s when you get in trouble, if you restructure a deal then all the sudden that player’s abilities fall off the cliff, and you have to let him go. Then you have to eat all that acceleration right away. But we are of the mind right now … I think with the way John and his coaches develop players, the way Eric and Vince and [senior personnel assistant] George [Kokinis] and those guys go out and collect players, that we’ve got a good nucleus of young players that are still under their first contracts, that it’s going to allow us not to have to be able to do that. But, that’s something that we will talk about, and if there is a dynamic player out there, then there are a couple of guys that we could go to. But that’s, so far, that’s probably a last resort for us.”

(BISCIOTTI) “And, I will say that we’re more apt to create space to get a few really good veterans for small amounts. That’s how Ozzie ends up putting the icing on our cake every year, is that we end up getting those guys like [Corey] Graham and people like that, that don’t cost a ton. So we know, in order to fill a roster with professionals, while we’re waiting on the young guys to develop, that that last $7 million that we have left is probably better spent on three veterans instead of one dynamic player. And so, I’m more open to that when it comes to creating cap room, because he’s done such a good job with the last guys we put on the roster in the last couple years, like McKinnie and Corey Grahamicon-article-link.gif and people like that. So, that to me is not being risky, it’s being prudent, and we’re going to see high-priced guys getting cut. I think it started a couple days ago. You all know them – some of the guys out there. And their team wanted to keep them. They just couldn’t. And [reporters] went and talked about two years ago when we let [Todd] Heap and [Derrick] Mason and Kelley Gregg go. That stands out because maybe, it stands out to you or some of the fans, but we were just as drastic last year. We let Haruki [Nakamura] go. We let [Tom] Zbikowski go. We let Cory Redding go. We let Jarret Johnson go. We let a Pro Bowl Ben Grubbs go. We don’t have the money for all of them, and the two safeties went and got starting jobs with Carolina and the Colts. So, we have to have guys ready to go, and that’s what we do. We’ve proven it two years in a row that we can kind of shock the world and disappoint our fans at the same time, by letting some of these guys go, but letting young guys fill in and then going out and getting good values on the free agent market.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Season-Preview-Press-Conference/2559ec96-8ea8-495f-a8c1-0835bc74175d

Flacco has to be re-signed. The mere thought of all the incompetents we had the years we spent trying to find one is enough to make me puke.

Lets not forget that the NFL game is really entertainment. Yeah, every so many years you do want to win the SB but year in and year out and game in and game out I watch the Ravens for entertainment. They weren't entertaining to me before they got Joe and he matured.

Yes as you contend that Joe is worse than his record and performance.

The malcontent act is boring dude.

Sometimes he plays above his w/l record like Sunday night. He also plays below it like Philly. It is up and down. He has been like a rollercoaster.

And when flacco laughs u out of the building whats the next move? He turned down 15 before he tied joe montana.

Yes Joe will laugh at me. I am sure he monitors this site for what I say.

I would not be surprised at all to see Flacco become the leagues highest paid QB BUT it will not be for long. The agents of Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan are watching Flaccos situation eagerly. Flaccos agent is in the perfect position to set the new market for upper echelon QBs. Once Flaccos deal gets done Rodgers and Ryan will use that as a starting point and probably ask for more. Flacco will get his deal first because he is an UFA whereas Rodgers and Ryan both have one-year remaining on their deals.

This is no different than 2008-2009 when Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers signed their extensions. On March 4, 2008, Roethlisberger signed an eight-year, $102 million contract with $33.2 million guaranteed. On August 6, 2009, Eli Manning signed a six-year, $97.5 million contract extension with $35 million guaranteed. On August 24, Rivers signed a 6-year, $92 million dollar extension with approximately $38 million guaranteed. These three deals then set the market for average QBs like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Kevin Kolb. The deals for Flacco, Rodgers, and Ryan will do the same thing. Their deals will be higher than what Ben, Eli, and Rivers got.

I would not be surprised at all to see Flacco become the leagues highest paid QB BUT it will not be for long. The agents of Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan are watching Flaccos situation eagerly. Flaccos agent is in the perfect position to set the new market for upper echelon QBs. Once Flaccos deal gets done Rodgers and Ryan will use that as a starting point and probably ask for more. Flacco will get his deal first because he is an UFA whereas Rodgers and Ryan both have one-year remaining on their deals.

This is no different than 2008-2009 when Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers signed their extensions. On March 4, 2008, Roethlisberger signed an eight-year, $102 million contract with $33.2 million guaranteed. On August 6, 2009, Eli Manning signed a six-year, $97.5 million contract extension with $35 million guaranteed. On August 24, Rivers signed a 6-year, $92 million dollar extension with approximately $38 million guaranteed. These three deals then set the market for average QBs like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Kevin Kolb. The deals for Flacco, Rodgers, and Ryan will do the same thing. Their deals will be higher than what Ben, Eli, and Rivers got.