ExtremeRavens Posted 19 hours ago Posted 19 hours ago New Ravens coach Jesse Minter has finalized his staff, assembling a mélange of experiences and backgrounds. Quarterback Lamar Jackson and offensive coordinator Declan Doyle have already spent time discussing their vision for the offense. Defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver and special teams coordinator Anthony Levine Sr. are back on the same sideline they once patrolled as players in Baltimore. Still, the work is only beginning. For general manager Eric DeCosta, the offseason is his season. He often arrives at the team’s facility in Owings Mills as early as 3 a.m. on weekends, hoping to steal a few quiet hours to study tape of NFL prospects, he said on “The Inner Circle” podcast with former star defensive tackle Aaron Donald, television reporter Zach Klein and agent Todd France. Preparing for next week’s scouting combine in Indianapolis was only one of several topics he touched on. Another was the search that preceded the hiring of Minter. “We had some great candidates,” DeCosta said. “We had probably five finalists. “In the end, given the rules, we were able to interview three of the five finalists.” Those rules concern the timing of coaching interviews during the postseason. Baltimore’s process — and the calendar — meant that two of the finalists never reached the final stage, likely because their teams were still alive in the conference championship games. Coaches involved in those games cannot meet with other teams in person until their season ends. The conference title games were played Jan. 25. The Ravens hired Minter on Jan. 22. Three coaches whom Baltimore had interviewed earlier over Zoom — Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Vance Joseph, Broncos quarterbacks coach Davis Webb and Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Klint Kubiak — were coaching that weekend in the AFC and NFC championship games. Could one of them have impressed DeCosta, executive vice president Ozzie Newsome and team president Sashi Brown enough to land the job? Perhaps. In the end, only Kubiak — whose father previously served as Baltimore’s offensive coordinator — went on to secure a head coaching position elsewhere, with the Las Vegas Raiders. DeCosta, though, expressed little hesitation about the direction the Ravens chose. “Change can be good,” he said. “With change comes innovation and new ways of doing things, new ways of practicing, a new scheme and all these different things. “That’s going to give us an advantage, I think, this year.” Less ambiguous is the importance of trying to re-sign three-time Pro Bowl center Tyler Linderbaum. “We’ve got some work to do on his contract,” DeCosta said. “We strongly hope to have him back. He’s a great player for us and a great leader.” Linderbaum, who turns 26 in April, would be among the most sought-after players on the market if he reaches free agency, which opens in earnest March 9. The Ravens declined his fifth-year option last offseason — a move that would have cost $23.4 million had they not done so — but DeCosta made clear then, and again recently, that the team hopes to keep the former first-round pick from Iowa in Baltimore for the long term. Doing so, however, will not come cheaply. The Kansas City Chiefs’ All-Pro center Creed Humphrey is currently the highest-paid player at the position, earning $18 million per year after signing a four-year, $72 million extension in August 2024. Linderbaum could command a similar figure — or more — if he reaches the open market. For now, Linderbaum has said he would like to remain in Baltimore, while acknowledging he must do what is best for him and his family. Baltimore currently has about $13.4 million in effective salary cap space, according to Over the Cap, though that figure is likely to change. One possibility would be an extension or restructure involving Jackson, whose contract carries a $74.5 million cap hit in each of the next two seasons. Along with Linderbaum, DeCosta said he would like to “augment” the guard position. He spoke highly of 2025 rookie Emery Jones Jr., whom he believes could compete for a starting role replacing either Andrew Vorhees or Daniel Faalele. Just as pressing, he added, is the need to generate more pressure on opposing quarterbacks after the Ravens finished second-to-last in sacks last season. Part of that problem stemmed from the loss of defensive tackle Nnamdi Madubuike, who suffered a season-ending neck injury. Whether he will return next season remains uncertain, and DeCosta pointed to a group of younger players who could help close that gap in the months ahead. Have a news tip? Contact Brian Wacker at bwacker@baltsun.com, 410-332-6200 and x.com/brianwacker1. View the full article Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.