ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cold Beer: Baseball's Back!

ExtremeRavens

“There’s reason to believe maybe this year will be better than the last…”

Quick thoughts on the official start of  Spring Training…52282498.jpg

First… WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO. The Sun has a nice little piece on it’s site entitled ‘Optimism Springs Eternal for Orioles.’ Cheesy, but true. There’s something about the first sight of players in team colors, playing catch and taking BP that just brings life to winter. To me, the first days of Spring Training always feel like the real New Year – and just like on January 1, there’s a feeling that anything can happen.

Second… Why do pitchers and catchers always report first? Seriously, we’re talking about a difference of about a week? We don’t think that most position players could benefit from some extra time in camp; young guys who need to push fundamentals a bit more and old guys who need the extra time to learn how to keep their bodies working?

Third… Brad Bergesen isn’t in camp yet. :( That’s a shame. And a stupid story. If you’ve heard it, cry with me. If you haven’t, don’t look it up.

Fourth… The O’s have moved to Sarasota for their ventures. Thank goodness. I only made it to Fort Lauderdale once to see the O’s (check that off the ol’ bucket list), and as much fun as the experience was, the facility was awful. I couldn’t believe the Orioles were paying to use the place. And it’s a miracle they ever got anyone to visit the damn stadium. Sarasota isn’t exactly paradise from what I understand, but it’s a start.

Coming later this weekend… a few predictions and my official Oriole Park viewers guide.

View the full article