ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Insider: Ravens CB Marlon Humphrey will ‘do whatever I can’ to play AFC championship game vs. Chiefs

ExtremeRavens

Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey stopped short of saying he’ll play in Sunday’s AFC championship game against the Kansas City Chiefs but said, “I’ve got to do whatever I can to get back out there, because the way these guys are playing, I just want to be a part of that.”

“It’s doing good,” he said of the injured calf that kept him out of the Ravens’ divisional round victory over the Houston Texans and limited him in practice Wednesday.

When asked if the decision will come down to how he’s feeling before Sunday’s game, he said: “I usually let all that happen with [coach John Harbaugh] and the medical team. And then I’ll go from there.”

Though he was cautious talking about his status, Humphrey did not mind hyping the matchup. “I feel like the Chiefs over the years are like … Alabama,” he said, drawing a comparison between the defending Super Bowl champions and his alma mater. “They’re still that team, still the team to beat, whether they’re losing, whether they’re winning. I think for us to beat them, it’s going to take everybody firing on all cylinders. [Patrick] Mahomes, I think him and Lamar [Jackson], it’s those two quarterbacks and everybody else. The best two quarterbacks in all of the world will be on the same field.”

Since he was drafted in the first round in 2017, Humphrey has watched the Ravens rise, endure terrible playoff disappointments and rise again. So “it’s been rough” to be sidelined the last three games.

“I think the best thing that’s really helped me get through it is just seeing how the guys are playing on Sunday,” he said. “The way those guys have been flying around, it’s really been inspiring to see that you can have the comfortability to just shoot your shot, and if you miss, there’s Ro [Roquan Smith] coming, there’s P.Q. [Patrick Queen] coming. That’s something that’s really changed since we added Roquan. He runs to the ball like — it’s not even a debate; no one runs to the ball the way Roquan Smith does, and that’s literally been contagious. Everyone’s game has elevated since he’s come and been our leader on defense.”

Cornerback Rock Ya-Sin (knee) was the only Raven who did not practice Thursday, with guard Kevin Zeitler back after a rest day and wide receiver Tylan Wallace, who missed the Texans game, going through drills as a limited participant with a brace on his injured knee. Tight end Mark Andrews was again a full participant as he prepares for a possible return from the ankle injury that has kept him out since mid-November.

In other roster news, the Ravens waived linebacker Jeremiah Moon, who played three defensive and 16 special teams snaps against the Texans. That’s a sign they expect special teams stalwart Del’Shawn Phillips, who missed the Houston game with a shoulder injury, to be available against the Chiefs.

For Kansas City, guard Joe Thuney (pectoral), running back Isiah Pacheco (toe) and defensive tackle Derrick Nnadi (triceps) did not practice Thursday, though Pacheco has said he expects to play. Safety Mike Edwards (concussion) was limited after not practicing Wednesday, while wide receiver Kadarius Toney (hip) was limited after being a full participant the day before.

View the full article