ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Insider: Ravens activate TE Mark Andrews from injured reserve ahead of AFC championship game

ExtremeRavens

Mark Andrews is officially back.

The Ravens activated the 2021 All-Pro tight end from injured reserve Friday, two days ahead of Sunday’s AFC championship game against the Kansas City Chiefs at M&T Bank Stadium. Though coach John Harbaugh has been noncommittal about his availability for the game, Andrews has been a full participant in practice all week.

A favorite target of quarterback Lamar Jackson since being drafted together in 2018, Andrews has been sidelined since injuring his left ankle Nov. 16 against the Cincinnati Bengals and undergoing surgery shortly thereafter.

How much he plays remains to be seen, but before going down the 28-year-old three-time Pro Bowl selection had 45 catches for 544 yards and a team-high six touchdown receptions. Andrews also fully practiced last week but did not play in the Ravens’ divisional round win over the Houston Texans, giving his ankle another week to heal.

In his absence, second-year tight end Isiah Likely has filled in nicely, with 23 catches for 356 yards and six touchdowns in six games.

“I’m starting to feel really good, being able to get after it, get in and out of routes [and] feeling pretty natural with all that stuff,” Andrews said last week.

He also talked about the difficulty of the past two months and his drive to get back on the field.

“It’s the first time I’ve ever been through anything like this,” Andrews said. “It’s tough, but you get around this team and you get around the guys, everybody in this building has been extremely supportive. I can’t tell you how much that means to me, how much it matters, and it makes me want to come here, work every day, come back to this team and help this team win a Super Bowl. That’s what matters.”

Sunday will mark the first conference championship game in Baltimore since 1971 when the Colts defeated the Oakland Raiders. It will also mark the first AFC championship game of Andrews’ career.

This story might be updated.

View the full article