ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Insider: Ravens kicker Justin Tucker says Travis Kelce throwing his helmet pregame was ‘just some gamesmanship’

ExtremeRavens

As Ravens kicker Justin Tucker stretched on the M&T Bank Stadium field while Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes warmed up more than an hour before Sunday’s AFC championship game, Kansas City tight end Travis Kelce tossed Tucker’s footballs away and threw aside his helmet.

The moment — shared on social media by NFL Network — went viral and prompted criticism of both Tucker and Kelce. On Monday, after the Ravens’ 17-10 loss, Tucker explained that he thought the move by Kelce was “just some gamesmanship.”

Unlike other NFL players, kickers warm up on both sides of the field to practice field goals against each direction’s wind. Tucker said he’s done the same thing during his 12-year career and “never really had a problem with anybody.”

Tucker said that Mahomes asked him to move his helmet, and Tucker “happily got up” and moved it out of the way.

“At least I thought it was enough out of the way. And then Travis comes over and he just kicks my stuff and he throws my helmet,” Tucker said. “I just thought it was all just some gamesmanship, all in good fun, but they seem to be taking it a little bit more seriously and I’m totally willing to let it all go.”

Tucker said that, later, at the pregame coin toss, he and the Chiefs players were “all dapping each other up and then we just get on with the football game.”

View the full article