ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Insider: ‘It feels unfinished’: Ravens still numb after disappointing loss to Chiefs in AFC title game

ExtremeRavens

As the Ravens sorted through their lockers Monday in Owings Mills, packing up shoes, athletic gear, books and souvenirs from the season, a game of Connect Four sat on a nearby coffee table.

The locker room had been a hub of activity for the past five months and players expected that would be the case again this week, as they prepared for the season’s ultimate goal, the Super Bowl. The Connect Four game was nearly complete — in a few instances, there were three tokens in a row — but neither side had been able to place four in succession. It, like the Ravens’ season, sat unfinished.

Baltimore was favored to beat the visiting Chiefs in the AFC championship game on Sunday and players, such as team leader and quarterback Lamar Jackson, set their sights all year on the Super Bowl. But after an uninspiring offensive performance, the Ravens fell, 17-10, to Kansas City, meaning players were left to prematurely pack up their lockers two weeks before they had hoped.

The postseason comes to a crashing conclusion quickly. Last week, the locker room brimmed with energy as they readied for Kansas City; Monday, players solemnly threw their belongings in bags before parting from the practice facility once more.

“It feels unfinished. Everything just feels unfinished,” right guard Kevin Zeitler said. “[It] feels like we should be practicing this week, keeping it going with this group and obviously that is not the case.”

Players tossed old shoes into a donation box and took other belongings home with them, beginning their offseason earlier than anticipated.

Safety Kyle Hamilton said he’s sore, and that his heart is sore, but he’ll move on. He’ll travel to Florida Tuesday for the Pro Bowl — an event he’s honored to be a part of, but one he’d hoped to miss because of Super Bowl plans.

“It’s kind of just numb for me, honestly. It’s shocking,” Hamilton said. “It sucks to lose in that fashion at home, being that close to our goal.”

“I didn’t really have it in my mind to come clean my locker out today,” said right tackle Morgan Moses, smiling in a sort of disbelief, “but obviously things happen.”

Ravensxe2x80x99 Patrick Queen takes a break from cleaning out his locker to talk with the media a day after their season-ending loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC championship. (Kevin Richardson/Staff)
Ravens linebacker Patrick Queen takes a break from cleaning out his locker to talk with the media on Monday, a day after their season-ending 17-10 loss to the Chiefs in the AFC championship game. (Kevin Richardson/Staff)

The Ravens won more games than any NFL team this year and appeared to be the one to beat entering the postseason. Some fans, who’d already purchased flights or hotel rooms in Las Vegas for the Super Bowl, had to cancel them after Baltimore tied a season-low with 10 points, coming up short against the defending champion Chiefs.

“Special group. The group, you won’t get it back again next year, but I felt like we had a squad to win it,” outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney said.

Baltimore won’t be the same next year. Several key contributors, such as inside linebacker Patrick Queen, defensive tackle Justin Madubuike and wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., to name just a few, are set to be free agents.

The inevitable roster turnover was apparent when outside linebacker Kyle Van Noy was asked about the Ravens’ future. Picked up on a one-year contract during the regular season, the 32-year-old Van Noy used the third-person “they,” rather than “we,” to describe the team’s future. “It’s going to be different. Every year is different,” the 10-year NFL veteran said.

The Ravens simply won’t be able to retain the bulk of their players who are set to become free agents because of cap restrictions. Instead, they’ll likely sign other players and will welcome draft picks, too. They pick No. 30 in the NFL draft, which takes place April 25.

Ravensxe2x80x99 Devin Duverney cleans out his locker as players packed up their belongings a day after their season-ending loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC championship. (Kevin Richardson/Staff)
Ravens wide receiver Devin Duverney cleans out his locker on Monday. (Kevin Richardson/Staff)

Safety Geno Stone is set to hit the open market, but he, like most players, wasn’t ready to forecast his future.

“That’s something I’ll just wait and kind of see what happens. I’m not really trying to look into it right now,” he said. “I’m trying to really just get over this game and enjoy the time I have with my teammates right now.”

The 33-year-old Zeitler says he’s “ready to roll” and that he hopes he’ll be a Raven next year.

“Hopefully that business side of football can be figured out nice and quick, and we can get that taken care of,” he said.

The Ravens’ coaching and front office staff could change, too, in particular defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald, who is reportedly being considered for both the Seattle Seahawks and Washington Commanders head coach openings.

Much of Baltimore’s core will return, however. Quarterback Lamar Jackson, the presumptive NFL Most Valuable Player who has received criticism for coming up short again in the playoffs, will, of course, be back. So will defensive cornerstones Hamilton and linebacker Roquan Smith.

Each of the team’s tight ends is expected to be back, as are receivers Rashod Bateman and rookie Zay Flowers, who fumbled on the goal line in Sunday’s loss, one of the game’s most pivotal plays. Center Tyler Linderbaum, another Pro Bowl selection, will still anchor the offensive line for years to come.

As Flowers took a break from cleaning out his locker Monday, he was asked when he’ll turn the page in his mind toward next season. “I already did,” he said.

View the full article