ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Insider: Ravens assistant head coach Anthony Weaver agrees to become Dolphins defensive coordinator

ExtremeRavens

The Ravens are losing another assistant from their defensive staff.

Baltimore defensive line coach and assistant head coach Anthony Weaver has agreed to become the Miami Dolphins’ defensive coordinator, according to a source with direct knowledge of the deal. He’s the third defensive assistant to leave the Ravens this offseason after defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald was named head coach of the Seattle Seahawks and defensive backs coach Dennard Wilson was hired as the Tennessee Titans’ defensive coordinator.

Weaver, 43, had head coaching interviews with the Atlanta Falcons, Washington Commanders and Carolina Panthers. He has ties to Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel, whom he previously worked with in Cleveland.

In Friday’s end-of-season news conference, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said he was unsure whether Weaver would stay but predicted he would become “a great head coach” one day.

“He didn’t get hired this cycle, and great coaches got hired, but someday, some people are going to look back, and they’re going to say, ‘We had a chance to hire Anthony Weaver.’ I guarantee you that,” Harbaugh said. “They’re going to see that they missed their chance. The next time around, somebody’s not going to miss their chance. That’s how I feel about Anthony.”

The Ravens on Thursday promoted 31-year-old inside linebackers coach Zach Orr to defensive coordinator over Weaver, who was also a candidate for the job before Macdonald was hired in 2022. Harbaugh said Friday he’s confident in his remaining staff to rebuild a defense that became the first team to lead the NFL in sacks, takeaways and points allowed this past season.

“The guys that we have on defense and some of the younger coaches that are already here including [outside linebackers coach] Chuck Smith — those guys are going to build another great defense, and I’m going to be in the middle of it, just like I’m in the middle of the offense and special teams,” he said. “I’m going to lean on those guys and trust those guys and empower those guys to build a great defense.”

Weaver joined the Ravens in 2021 as the run game coordinator and defensive line coach after spending four seasons with the Houston Texans, where he became defensive coordinator in 2020.

In Houston, his defense ranked 30th in yards (416.8) and 27th in points (29) allowed per game, but the unit had very little talent outside of then-31-year-old defensive lineman J.J. Watt. Four of the team’s top five players in total tackles that season are either out of the league or playing reserve roles elsewhere.

During Weaver’s time in Baltimore, the Ravens’ defensive line has consistently been among the league’s best, particularly against the run.

A 2002 second-round draft pick by the Ravens out of Notre Dame, Weaver played seven seasons in the NFL with Baltimore and Houston before joining the coaching ranks in 2010 as a graduate assistant at Florida under coach Urban Meyer. He’s also spent time on staff with the New York Jets (2012), Buffalo Bills (2013) and Browns (2014-15).

In Miami, Weaver takes over for Vic Fangio, who left after one season to become the Philadelphia Eagles’ defensive coordinator. The Dolphins ranked 22nd in points (23) and 10th in yards (318.3) allowed per game in 2023 while dealing with a slew of injuries to cornerbacks Jalen Ramsey and Xavien Howard and pass rushers Jaelan Phillips and Bradley Chubb. Miami, once a contender to secure the AFC’s top seed before suffering a 56-19 loss to the Ravens in Week 17, finished the regular season 11-6 and lost to the Kansas City Chiefs, 26-7, in the wild-card round.

This story might be updated.

View the full article