ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Insider: As free agency opens, Ravens celebrate Justin Madubuike, the star they kept

ExtremeRavens

The NFL’s legal tampering window would open in an hour, with teams set to throw millions of dollars at players. At the Ravens’ training complex, meanwhile, general manager Eric DeCosta sat contentedly beside the most important player he’ll sign this offseason, defensive tackle Justin Madubuike.

When the Ravens announced Friday evening they had extended Madubuike, 26 and coming off his first Pro Bowl, they continued a story that has defined the franchise since DeCosta’s mentor, Ozzie Newsome, took control of football operations.

“We’ve always strived to keep our best young players here in Baltimore, and I’m thrilled that this is another example,” DeCosta said Monday at a news conference marking the Madubuike deal.

They did it with Lamar Jackson, Mark Andrews and Marlon Humphrey, and before that with Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and Jonathan Ogden. If the Ravens splurge, they prefer to do it on players they drafted and developed rather than hot free agents from other teams. Madubuike is now part of that line.

The reported four-year, $98 million deal came together surprisingly easily, just three days after the Ravens placed the franchise tag on Madubuike to keep him off the free-agent market. It made sense for both sides, with Madubuike securing a massive payday in the city where he wanted to stay and the Ravens buying themselves breathing room with their salary cap.

About an hour after the tampering window opened, NFL Network reported that former Dolphins star Christian Wilkins, one of the top defensive tackles on the market, would sign with the Las Vegas Raiders for $110 million over four years, illustrating the value the Ravens locked in by signing Madubuike when they did.

DeCosta said the sides met at the NFL scouting combine and were close to a deal before last week’s tag deadline.

“I think we were coming from a place of respect,” he said. “Justin knows what we’re all about.”

Madubuike said his agent advised patience, noting “they want you, and you want to be there.”

“I plan on being here, hopefully for my whole career,” he said.

That’s music to the ears of Ravens fans and coaches, who watched Madubuike improve steadily after the team drafted him in the third round out of Texas A&M. He consolidated all those gains in his fourth season, leading the team with 13 sacks and 33 quarterback hits — rare production for an interior defensive lineman.

Madubuike recalled embracing Zach Orr, who’s now his defensive coordinator, after the Ravens lost to the Cincinnati Bengals to end their 2022 season. “You’re going to be an All-Pro. I can see it. I can feel it,” Orr whispered in his ear.

Madubuike made good on that prophecy, and the Ravens are betting this will not be a one-year phenomenon.

“He played across the defensive line,” Orr said. “This was his first time really getting an opportunity to do that. Now it’s just another year of getting comfortable with the technique that we want at all those different positions. That way, teams can’t just focus in on one spot where he’s at. That’s how I see him getting better.”

Madubuike said he wanted to get a deal done quickly so he could turn his focus entirely to meeting or exceeding the standard he set in 2023.

“I feel like I have a very unique body type,” he said. “I’m strong enough to hold myself in terms of being a nose [tackle]. I’m quick enough and agile enough to rush as a three [technique]. I’m also fast enough to burn the edge. It’s just the hard work and the consistency and the standard I hold myself to.”

The Ravens knew their roster, especially on the defensive side, would be raided after they posted the best record in the AFC last season. With limited spending power, they had to prioritize re-signing one of their young stars, and they chose Madubuike. DeCosta acknowledged the pain that would likely follow as early as Monday afternoon, with homegrown standouts such as linebacker Patrick Queen and safety Geno Stone among the most attractive targets on the free agent market.

But he felt some peace of mind, knowing that his most significant offseason business was already done.

“You know you just can’t keep every single player on your team; that’s a frustrating aspect of this job,” DeCosta said. “So you have to keep your very best if you can, the guys you feel most strongly about as players but also as people. I think Justin’s one of those types of guys.”

Madubuike recalled how he let a few tears flow, said a prayer and called his dad, who reacted with joyous disbelief when the deal was done last week. He wrapped DeCosta in a bear hug after they finished talking Monday,

For him and for the team, it was a moment of genuine satisfaction in an uncertain offseason.

Ravens defensive tackle Justin Madubuike discusses his signing at a news conference in Owings Mills. (Karl Merton Ferron/Staff)
“I plan on being here, hopefully for my whole career,” Ravens defensive tackle Justin Madubuike said. (Karl Merton Ferron/Staff)

View the full article