ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Insider: Ravens bring back OLB Kyle Van Noy on two-year deal for reported $9 million

In desperate need of a pass rusher after an exodus of free agents, the Ravens are bringing back one of their best from last season.

Outside linebacker Kyle Van Noy is returning to Baltimore, the team announced Thursday. The deal is for two years and is reportedly worth $9 million with up to $1 million in additional incentives, according to NFL Network.

Van Noy, 33, is coming off a career year in which he had nine sacks in 14 games after joining the team as a free agent in late September following injuries to outside linebackers Odafe Oweh and David Ojabo.

Coach John Harbaugh said during last week’s league meetings in Orlando, Florida, that he was “optimistic” that Baltimore would be able to sign Van Noy or outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney, who had 9 1/2 sacks last season. Not long after, Clowney agreed to a two-year deal worth a reported $20 million with the Carolina Panthers.

Van Noy’s return should help bolster what is an otherwise young and somewhat unproven outside linebacker group that includes Oweh, Ojabo, Tavius Robinson and Malik Hamm.

Last season, he was third on the team in sacks, behind defensive tackle Justin Madubuike and Clowney, and a significant contributor to a defense that led the NFL in sacks, takeaways and points allowed per game. Van Noy had 48 total pressures and a 14.7% pass rush win rate, per Pro Football Focus, which ranked 29th in the league among qualifying edge rushers, along with 30 tackles, including nine for loss, four passes defended and two forced fumbles, including a strip-sack.

Van Noy’s signing comes after a dozen players from last year’s 13-4 team that reached the AFC championship game signed elsewhere in free agency. In addition to losing Clowney, inside linebacker Patrick Queen signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers, safety Geno Stone with the Cincinnati Bengals and cornerback Ronald Darby with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

A second-round pick by the Detroit Lions in 2014, Van Noy won two Super Bowls with the New England Patriots but has played for four teams the past four seasons, including the Miami Dolphins, Los Angeles Chargers and now Baltimore.

Still, he has remained a more than capable pass rusher with at least five sacks each of the past five seasons.

He also fit in well in the Ravens’ locker room.

“I pride myself on having a high IQ,” Van Noy said last season. “You can ask anybody, and I think they’d tell you I’m a smart football player. I take pride in that. I take pride in being a professional. I tried to learn the defense in a week, so I feel like I got a good grasp on it. I know what everyone’s doing and where I fit in.”

In 142 games, Van Noy has 500 tackles, 42 1/2 sacks, 72 quarterback hits, 12 forced fumbles, nine fumble recoveries and three interceptions.

View the full article