ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Insider: NFL draft tracker: Ravens take North Carolina WR Devontez Walker, Iowa State CB T.J. Tampa on Day 3

ExtremeRavens

The Ravens entered the final day of the NFL draft on Saturday with six picks — Nos. 113 (fourth round), 130 (fourth round), 165 (fifth round), 218 (sixth round), 228 (seventh round) and 250 (seventh round). Here’s a look at whom they’ve taken.

No. 113: North Carolina WR Devontez Walker: Clemson cornerback Nate Wiggins, the Ravens’ first-round draft pick, allowed just one completion of 20-plus yards last season. Who was it against? Walker.

“He was probably the best player I ever went against,” Walker said via Zoom. “He’s very fast. He’s one of the few guys that was hip for hip with me.”

Now they will be teammates.

In selecting Walker, the Ravens get a speedy, vertical threat for quarterback Lamar Jackson. Described as a long-striding, straight-line burner, the 6-foot-1, 193-pound receiver ran the 40-yard dash in 4.36 seconds at the NFL scouting combine.

He finished last season with 41 catches for 699 yards and seven touchdowns in eight games after being cleared to play by the NCAA with a reversal of its decision on his eligibility following his transfer from Kent State. Walker began his college career at North Carolina Central.

Asked who he has tried to model his game after, Walker named a receiver Ravens fans are all too familiar with.

“Ravens fans are not gonna a like it, but [former Cincinnati Bengals star] A.J. Green was somebody I loved growing up,” said Walker, who acknowledged that his route running also needs more polish at the NFL level. “I idolized him a little bit — big, fast, could make those contested catches.”

He’s also looking forward to playing with Jackson.

“I’ve been watching Lamar since he came out of high school, watched him at Lousville,” he said. “I think he’s a great football player. He’s somebody I wished I was on his team and now that wish is coming true.”

Iowa State defensive back T.J. Tampa (2) gets set for a play during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Oklahoma State, Saturday, Sept. 23, 2023, in Ames, Iowa. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)
Iowa State defensive back T.J. Tampa gets set for a play against Oklahoma State on Sept. 23. (Charlie Neibergall/AP)

No. 130: Iowa State cornerback T.J. Tampa: The Ravens perhaps got some insight on their fourth-round pick from their first-round selection, Wiggins: The two were roommates during the NFL scouting combine.

Ravens tight end Charlie Kolar also played with Tampa at Iowa State. And in landing its second cornerback of the draft, Baltimore perhaps got great value.

The 6-1, 189-pound Tampa is ranked the No. 55 player on the consensus big board (and No. 38 on ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr.’s board). His average speed and 40-yard dash time of 4.59 seconds at his pro day was maybe one reason why he fell so far, something that the former star high school basketball player says he plans to use as motivation.

“There’s definitely a chip on my shoulder from here on out for all the teams that skipped me and all the corners that went before me,” he said via Zoom. “I’m gonna use that as fuel every day.”

A hamstring injury also kept him from playing in the Senior Bowl, though his long arms and playmaking ability are just two of the attributes that stand out. Tampa broke out in his third season at Iowa State, starting every game while leading the Cyclones with 10 pass breakups and holding opponents to a 46% catch rate, helping him land a second-team All-Big 12 selection.

In 12 games last season, Tampa allowed a passer rating of 54.8 and only one touchdown catch in 411 coverage snaps, according to Pro Football Focus. In fact, he allowed just one touchdown catch in his final 934 defensive snaps.

“TJ Tampa gon be the steal of the draft yall don’t even know,” New York Jets running back Breece Hall, Tampa’s former teammate, posted on X on Friday night.

Tampa, meanwhile, feels like he’ll fit in well with the Ravens’ physical style of play despite his slight frame. He said he looks forward to learning from Marlon Humphrey while continuing to prove doubters wrong.

“I’ve been on the bottom of a depth chart before,” he said. “I’m willing to work my way up again. I’m excited to get started.”

Given the Ravens’ question marks at corner beyond Humphrey, Brandon Stephens, Wiggins and Maulet, Tampa could have an opportunity to contribute sooner than later.

This story will be updated.

View the full article