ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Insider: Former Ravens WR Odell Beckham Jr. signing with Miami Dolphins

Odell Beckham Jr. was a shooting star for the Ravens, burning bright but moving quickly through Baltimore. After penning an emotional farewell on Instagram in March, he has landed in his next destination.

The three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver is headed south and signing with the Miami Dolphins, a source with direct knowledge of the agreement confirmed to The Baltimore Sun. The deal is reportedly for one year and $3 million with incentives that can stretch it to $8.25 million.

Last year, Beckham signed a one-year, $15 million deal with the Ravens.

That move was done in part to entice Lamar Jackson into signing a long-term extension after the quarterback told the Ravens as part of his negotiations that he would like them to sign Beckham and DeAndre Hopkins, who ended up with the Tennessee Titans. Baltimore landed Beckham and Jackson signed a five-year, $260 million extension shortly thereafter.

In March, the Ravens released Beckham in part as a cost-cutting measure.

Baltimore restructured the 31-year-old’s contract in January, eliminating the void years, which allowed the team to designate him as a post-June 1 release. Under Beckham’s original deal, the remaining years would have voided and the Ravens would’ve taken an $11.068 million cap hit.

Had they not released him by the March deadline, a $50 million place-holder salary for 2025 would have become fully guaranteed.

In joining Miami, Beckham adds to what is already one of the NFL’s top offenses and fastest receiver groups with Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle.

But while Beckham was a transcendent and popular figure in Baltimore, his production on the field was mostly mediocre. He had just 35 catches for 565 yards in 14 games last season, and his three touchdowns marked his lowest total of any year in which he played at least 12 games. He missed two games early in the year because of an ankle injury before sitting out the regular-season finale to rest for the playoffs.

Beckham averaged just 4.4 targets and 2.5 catches per game last season, though he did post a career-high 16.1 yards per catch.

The former New York Giants star also had moments of brilliance, too. In a November win over the Cincinnati Bengals, he had a season-high 116 yards on four catches. Two games later, in a showdown against his former team, the Los Angeles Rams, he had 97 yards and a touchdown, again on four receptions. And in a December tilt against Dolphins at M&T Bank Stadium with the top seed in the AFC on the line, he made a spectacular 33-yard grab at the goal line to help set up a 1-yard touchdown run that put Baltimore in front for good in an eventual 56-19 blowout win.

But in the playoffs, Beckham had just four catches for 34 yards and no touchdowns in two games as the Ravens lost to the Kansas City Chiefs, 17-10, in the AFC championship game.

“I absolutely love this place,” he said after the loss. “This felt like a home. It felt amazing for me. The city of Baltimore … I wanted it for the city of Baltimore more than anything. I wanted them to be able to have that moment [when] we’re all standing on the field, and ‘The Bank’ [M&T Bank Stadium] is rocking, but [we] just came up short.

“If there is anything I felt about myself — regardless of anybody’s opinion or anything like that — is that I know that I can still play football, and I know that I still have [stuff] in the tank.”

View the full article