ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Insider: Former Ravens star Terrell Suggs indicted after allegedly threatening to kill another driver

A grand jury has indicted former Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs on two charges stemming from an incident in March in which he allegedly threatened to kill another driver and pulled out a gun at a Starbucks drive-through in Scottsdale, Arizona, according to court documents.

Suggs, 41, was charged with felony disorderly conduct involving a weapon and misdemeanor intimidation.

An initial pretrial conference has been scheduled for June 12 in Maricopa County with a trial date set for Sept. 19. The penalty for felony disorderly conduct involving a weapon in Arizona includes a possible prison sentence of up to three years.

Suggs, who was arrested on April 9 and released from jail early the following morning, has pleaded not guilty.

His attorney, Craig Penrod, did not respond immediately to messages Monday from The Baltimore Sun seeking comment.

On March 10, Suggs was at a Starbucks in Scottsdale, where he lives, when, after pulling too far forward in the drive-through lane, he backed up and his black Range Rover made contact with the alleged victim’s vehicle, though no damage occurred, according to police. The man in the other vehicle approached Suggs, who also exited his car, and an argument ensued before both parties returned to their vehicles and finished placing their orders.

As Suggs began to drive away, he stuck his middle finger up at the other man, according to police, and began to swear at the alleged victim, saying, “You wanna go?,” with the alleged victim replying, “F— you and go away.” Suggs then called the alleged victim a “p—- a– cracker” and said, “I’ll kill your b—- a–,” according to police.

As Suggs began to drive away, he stopped his car and stuck a handgun out of the driver’s side window. He did not point it at the other man, according to police, but the alleged victim took it as a threat and wrote down Suggs’ license plate number before calling police.

Suggs was stopped by detectives near his home shortly after 2:30 p.m. April 9, and a weapon was found in his car, according to police.

Through a representative, Suggs issued a statement after being released from jail.

“I was in a quiet area of Scottsdale in the middle of the day in a Starbucks drive-thru near my home when an incident happened with a vehicle behind me. I was getting coffee, I was not looking for any trouble,” Suggs said. “When the man in the other vehicle escalated the situation, I feared for my safety not knowing what his intentions were. Throughout the incident, I was the one who felt in danger, while fearing I would be followed home and for the safety of my family nearby at my residence.”

Drafted 10th overall out of Arizona State by the Ravens in 2003, Suggs spent 16 of his 17 years in the NFL in Baltimore, where he was inducted into the team’s Ring of Honor in October.

Suggs won two Super Bowl titles in his career, including one with the Ravens in the 2012 season, and was the NFL’s Rookie of the Year in 2003, Defensive Player of the Year in 2011, an All-Pro and seven-time Pro Bowl selection.

This is not the first time Suggs has been accused of assault.

In 2003, he was charged with felony aggravated assault during an argument at a basketball tournament, though he was later acquitted of the charges. Then, in 2009, Suggs’ future wife, Candace Williams, accused him of domestic violence and filed for a protective order, claiming he had hit her and spilled bleach on her and their then-1-year-old son, though she later requested the order be rescinded after they reconciled.

In late 2012, Williams accused Suggs of punching her in the neck and dragging her behind his car as he drove away with their two children. Suggs was ordered to turn over seven guns, including an AK-47 assault rifle, because of a temporary protective order granted by the Baltimore County Circuit Court.

Less than a month later, the couple married. She filed for divorce in 2015.

Suggs spent his final season in the NFL in 2019 with the Arizona Cardinals and then the Kansas City Chiefs, winning a second Super Bowl title. He finished his career with 139 sacks, 895 tackles, 15 fumble recoveries and seven interceptions.

View the full article