ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Gary's Really Losing It

dc.

It can't be too uphill, especially if you try.

We get the recruits for football... why can't we get them for basketball?

And again, just five years ago (2003-2004), why would anyone (Roy Hibbert) turn down a program that JUST won the National Title, went to back to back Final Fours, and was on its way to 11 straight NCAA tournaments?

If you ask, they will come. My belief is still that Gary simple didn't "ask" often enough.

It can't be too uphill, especially if you try.

We get the recruits for football... why can't we get them for basketball?

And again, just five years ago (2003-2004), why would anyone (Roy Hibbert) turn down a program that JUST won the National Title, went to back to back Final Fours, and was on its way to 11 straight NCAA tournaments?

If you ask, they will come. My belief is still that Gary simple didn't "ask" often enough.

Not only does Gary not "ask" enough, but kids in PG County simply grow up Georgetown Hoya fans. There was an article in the Post about why the Terps have not been successful in that area historically, those kids consider the Hpyas the home team. They hear names like Allen Iverson, Jeff Green, and Alonzo Mourning and it is more appealing than anything UMD has to offer. Kids from DeMatha, Northwestern, Riverdale Baptist School, Montrose Christian have two choices: they can either stay home and go to Georgetown, or they are recruited by bigtime programs (ala Michael Beasley and Kevin Durant). The fact that the last DeMatha recruit Gary has gotten is Travis Garrison is pretty pathetic when the campus is less than 20 minutes away from CP.

Speaking about football recruits, how about UMD's recruiting class this season? Not bad at all. I trained with corner recruit Travis Hawkins once at my gym and I have seen him play, he is the real deal. My little brother played against runningback recruit Caleb Porzel, Friedgen is not joking when he says the kid has breathtaking speed. It is literally Reggie Bush-like speed. Rumor around my area is that he ran in the 4.2s.