ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Roberts Countdown...

dc.

Hit 54 in yesterday's loss to the Sox (which, by the way, I was at and got on the field pre-game for a youth sports parade, haha! Kids from my team got to throw out the first pitch, too. Sweet).

Anyway... 54 doubles... and 9 games left. C'monnnnn 60!

Didn't realize til now... one of Roberts earlier hits was a single that scored a run... Roberts tried for second, Vernon Wells threw to second from CF... Roberts made it in safely, but over-slid the bag and was tagged out.

If I'm the scorer, isn't that a double and then the out??? If you see the video on MLB.com (posted below, I hope), he is clearly safe until he overslides...

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?topic_id=bal&c_id=bal

Found my answer... but the rule seems silly...

© When the batter attempts to make a two-base hit or a three-base hit by sliding, he must hold the last base to which he advances. If a batter-runner overslides and is tagged out before getting back to the base safely, he shall be credited with only as many bases as he attained safely. If a batter-runner overslides second base and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credited him with a one-base hit; if the batter-runner overslides third base and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credit him with a two-base hit.

Rule 10.06© Comment: If the batter-runner overruns second or third base and is tagged out trying to return, the official scorer shall credit the batter-runner with the last base he touched. If a batter-runner runs past second base after reaching that base on his feet, attempts to return and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credit the batter with a two-base hit. If a batter-runner runs past third base after reaching that base on his feet, attempts to return and is tagged out, the official scorer shall credit the batter with a three-base hit.

So, if you slide past the base and are tagged out going back... you get a single.

BUT if you run past the base and are tagged out going back... you get a double.