ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

A raven wife stepped in it

papasmurfbell

http://deadspin.com/wife-of-ravens-player-ponders-drake-michael-sam-and-h-1607127249?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Wife Of Ravens Player Ponders Drake, Michael Sam, And Hitler

Lauren Cox is married to Ravens long snapper Morgan Cox, and she maintains a personal blog where she shares her thoughts on all manner of topics. This isn't something that is really worth pointing out under normal circumstances, but she just wrote something about Drake's "Side Pieces" ESPYs performance and how it relates to Michael Sam's speech and also racism and Hitler and, yeah, this is really something.

kx7vcjis4qzng6u2wjxs.jpg
Drake Serenades Side Pieces With Brian McKnight, Takes On Donald Sterling

So, the ESPYS took kind of a dark turn tonight. It started off innocently enough with Drake…Read more

The title of the post is "Drake, take your 'side pieces' and shove it." She dives right in:

I just watched the 2014 ESPYS, and I don't think I've ever been so saddened by such heartless, inhumane mockery as I was during tonight's ceremony.

Let me start off by saying that you don't have to be married into sports to understand how preposterous tonight's display of disrespect was to the families and viewers of those involved.

The hot topic of the night was obviously Michael Sam. He was awarded the Courage Award for being openly gay. If you open Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media outlet, you will be overwhelmed with people's opinions on the subject. However, as much as there is to be said about Michael Sam, my focus has shifted to the tremendously distasteful showing of Drake's
Side Pieces
that put me in such a rage I didn't know whether to punch something or cry.

OK! I can see how Drake's song, which was about all the ladies that bone married athletes, may have been bothersome to a woman who is married to a pro athlete. But I'm not really sure what this has to do with Michael Sam. Can you please explain, Lauren Cox?

I am sickened by the blindness of this country and what it chooses to promote and brush under the rug. I'm not here to pass judgment
or condone
what happened on the ESPYS stage, but it is appalling that today's society would spend SO much time on promoting homosexuality when the bigger issue at hand is how hilarious it apparently was to joke about affairs happening in not just these men's dating lives, but also their marriages. Have we really hit such an all time low that it goes unnoticed how hateful a song like that is to not only women in the sports world, but women all over who fall victim to unfaithfulness? The Bible tells us that
marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral (
Hebrews 13:4
).
So why was there no one involved in the scripting and production of the ESPYS to stand up and say "This is wrong" when Drake was rehearsing some of the worst lyrics ever written AND approved for national television? Michael Sam's story should have been put on the back-burner as soon as Drake sang the first verse in that absurd song.

Right, yes, Drake's song was perhaps a bit coarse, but I'm still not really getting the connection to Michael Sam!

Everyone is created equal, so everyone's beliefs and values are justifiable. Truth does not exist in an objective sense; it is relative. Truth is created by communities and culture and is true in and for the specific community or culture. Also, individuals are the product of their culture. So, any person, culture, system, or statement claiming to be objectively true, is in fact true by their own standards. Follow your feelings, follow your heart.

This supports the case that Michael Sam was correct in speaking out about his beliefs on sexuality. This also gives Drake proper permission to mock the girlfriends and wives of athletes because I'm pretty certain that by having the balls to get up there and sing about cheating on someone and it being
funny
, he also finds it acceptable, and therefore, 'tolerable'. But if this definition of tolerance can be applied to Michael Sam and Drake's actions on the ESPYS stage, then that must mean ...

Oh no.

... that this same tolerance ...

Oh God no.

... condones ...

Don't do it, lady.

... Hitler's reasoning ...

Fuck.

And now we're totally off the rails.

... for murdering hundreds of thousands of innocent people because deep down, he honestly and truthfully believed he was doing this world a favor by eliminating those lives for the betterment of a master race.

And if Hitler's mass murder can be justified by relative truth and equality, then what are we so upset about 9/11 for? The men that hijacked those planes honestly felt that by doing so, they would be rewarded in the next life, so who are we to impose our Western views on them if everyone's language is truth?

Or we could take a step away from mass destruction for a second and ask the members of the Ku Klux Klan what it is about dark skin that is so subhuman. I think we should be leaps and bounds past racism, but if truth is relative, why not support their racism as something acceptable to their own communities even if we personally disagree? Racism to us, but truth to them.

So, OK. What we have here is a riff, a little bitter irony to bring home a point about the perils of moral relativism, featuring the Klan, 9/11, Hitler, and Drake, like some sort of Mount Rushmore of specious analogy. Wait a minute, you aren't gonna bring this back to Michael Sam, are you?

So, I vote we go back to the old way of doing things where people's opinions on lifestyle choices aren't exploited publicly. When society decides to stop shoving someone's sexual orientation down everyone's throats by making a huge, unnecessary spectacle of them, maybe our eyes will be free to see things such as the of lack respect women receive from their boyfriends and husbands when men like Drake illuminate this American platform or pedestal these men are placed upon.
Do not be wise in your eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil (
Proverbs 3:7
).
The wisdom of the world accomplishes nothing, and this year's ESPYS further confirms why and how much we need the Lord's direction.

You are! Dammit!

This is an impressive document, all things considered. It has to be the most roundabout way of calling someone a fag on record.

• Upvote 1