ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

McClain fights his way to starting job

ravinmaniac52

Like Ravens teammate Michael Oher(notes), McClain took an unlikely path to the pros which required passion, perseverance and the overcoming of obstacles. In Hollywood pitch-meeting terms, think “The Blind Side” meets “The Pursuit of Happyness,” with a touch of the “Rocky” movies (which McClain ritualistically watches to get pumped up before games).

“My life has been one boxing match after another,” McClain says. “No matter what gets thrown at me, I keep fighting.”

Raised in north Philadelphia, McClain was a Golden Gloves fighter from the fourth grade on; local legend Joe Frazier gave him his first pair of boxing shorts. McClain’s father was incarcerated for much of Jameel’s childhood, and his family struggled with poverty. There were periods of homelessness, and for an extended stretch Jameel, his three siblings and his mother lived in a Salvation Army rescue shelter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AnsqzjMAIbV8uc6NAy.YqG5DubYF?slug=ms-fridayofferings100810