ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Gary Retires

I'm shocked!

Maryland men's basketball coach Gary Williams is retiring, the school announced in an official press release Thursday afternoon. Williams, who spent 22 years at Maryland and coached his alma mater to a national title in 2002, said "it's the right time."

“It’s the right time,” Williams said in a statement. “My entire career has been an unbelievable blessing. I am fiercely proud of the program we have built here. I couldn’t have asked any more from my players, my assistant coaches, the great Maryland fans and this great university. Together, we did something very special here.”

Williams will say his goodbyes on Friday at a press conference at 1 p.m. in Comcast Center.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-sportsblitz-williams-retiring0505,0,449698.story

I can't help thinking if Jorden Williams was comming back this wouldn't be happening.

Edited by vmax

I have two thoughts...

First, I was "over" the Gary era before it was over. I don't mean that in a bad way, but I think he was past his time. He was almost right today, it was the time...

Second, I don't mean to be critical or cynical, but I can't help buy feel like we may be in for more bad news - the way the football team was - when we get a new coach. Jordan Williams didn't attend a single class after the Terps last game and he obviously isn't graduating. That hurts the team academic numbers. Football just lost two scholarships for a few years because of bad academics. Is Gary following? The record hasn't been that good in that past and new developments won't help.