ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cheap Arm

ForceEight

As Olney reported on ESPN, Ben Sheets is getting no more than two-year offers from teams. And those deals are topping out at $7-8 million a year.

Is it absurd to think that this is one of the league's better pitchers and is certainly--even in this economy--worth much more than that? He's injury prone, but he pitched 200 innings and still managed to do very well. And he's only 30.

I just don't understand why it seems really no one (excluding the Rangers, but we know their pitching expertise) is even extending a few dollars to the man.

I only mention this because of our rotation situation, and the fact that the man isn't exactly asking for the entire piggy bank. Thoughts?

Again, it's the tight market.

I also think the teams are playing a bit of a war of attrition... who can hold out the longest??

MacPhail just about said publicly a while ago, as I posted somewhere, that he was just waiting for the prices to come down.

I think the O's should take a stab at him. Unless there is some serious injury bug we don't know about. Hell give him 5 years for 10, for all I care. I'd like to have a guy like Sheets on this team for a while.

... I'm gonna read up on Schmuck's blog. I know he has posted about Sheets a few times, or been asked, but I have only glanced.

I know they're all playing a waiting game, but I don't buy the idea that prices are going to fall anymore. There are still a few damn good players stranded in free agency, and I don't see them taking chump change just to play.

As much as I'm against throwing every available dollar at every available player, I think this upside-down version of holding every dollar you have is just as silly.

Just read something from Olney about this...

He was laughing at the fact that Carlos Silva got 4/48 from the M's last year... and now no one is even going past 2/20 for Sheets.

Go compare their stats yourself... see how that makes sense.

I'd throw 5/50 at Sheets in a heartbeat.

Just read something from Olney about this...

He was laughing at the fact that Carlos Silva got 4/48 from the M's last year... and now no one is even going past 2/20 for Sheets.

Go compare their stats yourself... see how that makes sense.

I'd throw 5/50 at Sheets in a heartbeat.

With Sheets's injury history? That is what is scaring teams off. When he pitches, he is an ace. He just cannot stay healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you guys feel about Braden Looper? The O's are still rumored to be talking to Looper. He would certainly be a solid middle of the rotation guy who can eat up 200 innings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3805

I'm ready for baseball! I really think the O's will be competitive this year. I'm really feeling a winning record this season!

Every single person at all related to baseball says Looper will be an Orioles, so I'm not considering any different. He'd certainly help.

I have absolutely no expectations. I want to see nothing but a little bit of good baseball. Especially when I go to games. With all the retarded money being thrown around, I don't see anything happening.