ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Media beginning to see

vmax

Finally somebody in the media sees that the Ravens will be better on defense. After hearing Schlerith say the Ravens lost too much to make the playoffs I thought, "Do you have any idea who they added and where?" Ray, Ed and Pollard had grown too slow. Kruger only started 7 games and is not an every down player. Carry Williams is just an average Joe.

Of course it's Hensley at ESPN who knows the team...but at least somebody is bold enough to step out of the herd...

Baltimore Ravens: I expect the Ravens’ secondary, like the rest of their defense, to be vastly improved from a year ago. Of course I realize that nine-time Pro Bowler Ed Reed is gone, along with fellow starting safety Bernard Pollard and starting cornerback Cary Williams. I felt Williams’ value was overblown during the Ravens’ Super Bowl run, and, while he is an enforcer, Pollard is a liability in coverage. As for Reed, well, he isn’t what he once was, but of course his ability to quarterback the secondary and make plays on the ball is still very valuable. Reed and Pollard were replaced by veteran Michael Huff and Matt Elam, the 32nd overall pick of the draft. Expect Huff to more often than not play the Reed role, as a deep middle player, but Huff also has cornerback skills and can play man coverage against wide receivers. Elam is a great hitter like Pollard, but is much younger and has tons more upside. Baltimore’s safeties are better in 2013. But the key here is the return of Lardarius Webb, one of the best corners in football who no one seems to know. Corey Graham was very solid for the Ravens last year, but it is Jimmy Smith who needs to step up. If that happens, this secondary should be among the league’s best, but depth here overall isn’t great.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/71584/eight-in-the-box-secondary-status-check

"You calling me an average Joe?!"

130203_Fight_ss.ss_full.jpg

Ozzie restocked this team with depth, youth, speed, and talent. Prior to this season it looked like our window was about closed however we have as good a chance as anyone these next three years to win another Super Bowl. With the great coaching staff we have in place, I have no doubt they will be able to develop the young talent so we do not miss a beat and ultimately are better.