ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

BCS Picture after Saturday

vmax

Anybody else watch the games yesterday?

I hung on to the Alabama game and Texas/Nebraska game and flipped to the Cinci and Clemson games in between...it was an exciting day of college football while I trimed the tree.

Great come from behind win for Cinci but they have no defense.

Alabama (my favorite) rolled over Florida...crushed them...and Mark Imgram is my Heisman guy. The Tide was so dominant that I see Texas having no shot at them. McElroy is getting better and better at QB as the season wears on, Imgram is just one outstanding talent...Areanas on ST is incredible to watch, and their D is very physical (hope the Ravensd get Orlando McClain). The O line played the same smashmouth football.

They are the best TEAM in college football right now.

And Texas/Nebraska????...I couldn't turn the game off. I smelled upset all night. Two offenses that gave a new meaning to futility but one of then, Texas, was supposed to be great. That makes Nebraska's D great.

What a show they put on and Suh has to be the 1st pick in the draft. For the night he had 4½ sack and 12 total tackles but that doesn't tell the story on his dominance play after play. I can't remember a DT playing so dominant...probably why I couldn't turn the game off.

Here's the story on that game...

...the Longhorns bumbled around against Nebraska -- The Team That Offense Forgot.

If Hunter Lawrence's 42-yard field goal doesn't duck inside the left upright as time expires, the Longhorns are lower than Bevo doodoo. But it did. Texas won, 13-12, and Longhorns coach Mack Brown declared his team California bound.

Brown's team scored exactly one touchdown against Nebraska, rushed for a grand total of 18 yards, watched its Heisman Trophy candidate throw three interceptions and its offensive line give up nine sacks. This is the other BCS title game team?

Still, Texas quarterback Colt McCoy did maneuver the Longhorns into field goal distance, though it helped that they got 55 yards in gift yardage from Nebraska. A kickoff that rolled out of bounds put the ball on the 40-yard line to start the drive. A horse collar tackle later added another 15-yard penalty. And Lawrence's field goal doesn't happen unless officials correctly put a single second back on the clock after an incomplete pass by McCoy appeared to end the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=4718287

I wanted that FG to miss because Texas is not National Champion worthy.

So long McCoy...no Heisman for you. You either Tebow but he was classy through the tears after the loss.

Nebraska's offense was horrid. Almost comic watching them try to gain 10 yards. Zac Lee was something like 2-8 for 10 yards and 2 INT's in the 1st half...around 35 yards of total offense. It was their D with 2 INT's that gave them Fielg Goal range and Special Teams. Special Teams almost pulled it off for the Cornhuskers to win the game.

Here's the BCS picture...

When the final BCS standings come out Sunday night at 8 ET, expect Alabama to be a near-unanimous No. 1. Despite Texas' struggles in the Big 12 championship, the Longhorns look very safe for No. 2.

While there should be a significant drop off in points from the Crimson Tide to No. 2 Texas, there will be another big drop down to the next teams. Projections indicate TCU edging Cincinnati for third and Florida coming in at No. 5.

Brad Edwards' BCS Bowl Projections

Bowl Matchup

BCS Title Alabama vs. Texas

Rose Bowl Ohio St. vs. Oregon

Fiesta Bowl TCU vs. Boise State

Orange Bowl Ga. Tech vs. Iowa

Sugar Bowl Florida vs. Cincinnati

The Longhorns' narrow 13-12 win over Nebraska will give Texas a boost in the computers, since that part of the BCS formula doesn't consider margin of victory. Cincinnati and Texas will be close in the computers, but the Horns will be way ahead of the Horned Frogs. TCU won't be helped by not playing this week and Clemson's loss to Georgia Tech in the ACC title game.

The human element of the BCS formula is where there could be some movement. But the gap looks too big for Cincinnati or TCU to hurdle Texas. Nearly two-thirds of the 173 voters would have to vote the Horned Frogs and Bearcats in front of the Horns on their ballots to put Texas in real danger.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=roadtobcs/0909

Great day of football.