ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

"3rd Party" Camp Observations

vmax

BS-sp-p-ravens-49ers-wool-2.jpg

I have been feeling good about the progress of the Ravens training camp and feel even better after reading La Canfora's article because he's a "Third Party" observer. He's not a homer. Like John Harbaugh says: They keep stacking one good practice on top of another to be the best that they can be.

Here's some of La Canfora's observations...

I've been to my fair share of camps, in places all over the United States, but never seen anything quite like this (one of the practice fields had the 49ers logo painted in the end zone, for goodness sake; you can't ask for any more hospitality than that).

For two teams to be able to share a relatively limited space, for this amount of time, after having just played a preseason game against each other, speaks to the unparalleled respect between the organizations, and the obvious bond shared by their head coaches.....Having two teams that practice this hard and play this physically -- and this long, with Saturday's session going for three hours -- could lead to tempers flaring, but outright fighting won't be tolerated. There is every expectation this will be highly efficient and effective work for both teams. That's what Saturday was, with players helping one another up and no instances of pushing and shoving.

Looks like this experiment is working. I had my doubts.

G6dsC.Xl.55.jpeg

More good news....

Ravens' O-line looks much better

It's early, but the Ravens' offensive line has the potential to be much improved. Jeremy Zuttah already looks like a big upgrade at center and if stud guards Kelechi Osemele and Marshal Yanda hold up, I cannot imagine the run game and pass protection are not markedly improved. They looked good against a physical 49ers team in the game and practice, and though Harbaugh is reserving judgment until the regular season, there are plenty of positive signs as the unit takes to new coordinator Gary Kubiak's blocking schemes.

"We don't know yet," Harbaugh said when asked about what appears to be a blossoming line. "But I like the way our coaches are coaching."

Right tackle is the one area without a proven starter, but youngster Rick Wagner seems to have a pretty good handle on that job for now, though ample time remains for him to lose it.

This and that

• Out of the massive national media spotlight that engulfed Jonathan Martin in Miami last year, during the investigation into the Dolphins' offensive line, the 49ers believe he can be a valuable swing tackle and are giving him plenty of work. Few coaches seem to take as much glee in a rehabilitation project as Jim Harbaugh (though the Blaine Gabbert experiment has the potential to be a disaster) and he had praise for Martin.

"He's played extremely well," Harbaugh said. "He's been very effective."

• All the attention on the Ravens' offense has gone to newcomers like Steve Smith and Owen Daniels, but there is a youngster who continues to catch quarterback Joe Flacco's eye. Marlon Brown emerged as a trusted target as a rookie, and now another year removed from his ACL injury in college, the Ravens believe he could take on a bigger role. Brown dropped some passes early in camp, but Flacco has plenty of trust in him, and at 6-foot-5 and getting more explosive, I wouldn't write him out of this offense by any stretch.

"He's making big strides in this training camp and getting better every day," Flacco said.

Brown made a great reaction on what appeared to be a broken play for a 70-yard TD in 11-on-11 drills and he looked sharp in 7-on-7 as well.

• Kubiak is moving second-year fullback/tight end Kyle Juszczak all over the place. I tend to think he will be a factor. He can be a lead blocker, he can be flexed out to the slot or even the outside (the kid can run), and he can serve as an in-line blocker. Kubiak is very intrigued.

• I'm not sure if rookie receiver Michael Campanaro can stay healthy, or survive in this league at 5-8, but the Ravens are going to give him every opportunity to keep showing what he can do. He has opened some eyes early. Expect this offense to look drastically different that a year ago.http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24654761/ravens-49ers-turn-joint-practices-into-family-gathering

181542889_8.jpg?w=594&h=349&crop=1

La Canfora is still a little bit of a homer, but not nearly as bad as some of our other local guys. La Canfora lives in Baltimore and is frequently tweeting from Orioles games. He's definitely a Ravens fan.

:cop: Thanks for trashing my thread! :yeah:

beehive-600x400.jpg

Edited by vmax