ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens look at second-round offensive tackle prospects

papasmurfbell

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/03/ravens_look_at_secondround_offensive_tackle_prospects.html

The Ravens reportedly took close looks this week at two offensive tackles -- Mississippi State's Derek Sherrod and Indiana’s James Brewer – who are projected to be drafted in the second or third rounds.

According to NFL.com, Ravens assistant offensive line coach Todd Washington attended Mississippi State’s pro day on Thursday. Sherrod, who is 6 feet 5, 312 pounds, is considered hardworking and smart who is stronger in pass protection than run blocking. Some think he’ll eventually move to guard because he doesn’t have the elite athleticism for a left tackle and doesn’t have the desired power for a right tackle.

According multiple reports, a Ravens staff member attended Indiana’s pro day and met with Brewer, a 6-6, 323-pound lineman. He has the physical tools to be a solid right tackle but he could be a project (he only played one year of high school football).

“I worked out with the guy from the Ravens, and I did things I hadn't trained for and I hadn't practiced,” Brewer told the Herald Times. “I think that shows that I'm versatile and a quick learner."

Offensive tackle is considered a need for the Ravens because Jared Gaither is expected to become a free agent and Marshal Yanda is probably going to move back to guard. There are also questions whether Michael Oher will play left or right tackle.