ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

OBJ, a leader?

tsylvester

Last season, Baltimore Ravens wide receivers ran a route called "Odell."

In 2023, Odell Beckham Jr. can offer pointers on the play they named after him – an end-zone corner route, a play Beckham Jr. has caught a share of his 56 career touchdowns running.

"So we’re asking how he runs that against different looks," Ravens wideout Tylan Wallace said.

It’s also a sign of Beckham morphing from the talented-yet-mercurial superstar to a wise veteran, 30 years old now, willing to lend an ear to the younger players in his position group, some of whom grew up watching him make highlight-reel catches with the New York Giants at the beginning of his career.

"It’s crazy," Wallace said. "So when he first got here, it was kind of like, ‘Oh wow, I remember watching this dude growing up.’ Now I’m his teammate."

BALTIMORE RAVENS
From locker-room outcast to leader: How Odell Beckham Jr. became key voice for Ravens
Chris Bumbaca
USA TODAY

Last season, Baltimore Ravens wide receivers ran a route called "Odell."

In 2023, Odell Beckham Jr. can offer pointers on the play they named after him – an end-zone corner route, a play Beckham Jr. has caught a share of his 56 career touchdowns running.

"So we’re asking how he runs that against different looks," Ravens wideout Tylan Wallace said.

It’s also a sign of Beckham morphing from the talented-yet-mercurial superstar to a wise veteran, 30 years old now, willing to lend an ear to the younger players in his position group, some of whom grew up watching him make highlight-reel catches with the New York Giants at the beginning of his career.

"It’s crazy," Wallace said. "So when he first got here, it was kind of like, ‘Oh wow, I remember watching this dude growing up.’ Now I’m his teammate."

NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.

Nothing makes Beckham feel older than the “grew up watching you play” comments. He still believes there are good years left in his legs. But he also knows what his role is for the Ravens, who signed him to a one-year, $15-million deal in March, adding another weapon for quarterback Lamar Jackson.

Beckham said he's "still got a little bit left" in the tank. But gone are the days of stretching defenses as one of the NFL's most dynamic playmakers. Two ACL tears – the most recent forcing him to miss all of last season after sustaining it in Super Bowl 56 while playing for the Los Angeles Rams – will do that. He missed the Ravens' Week 3 contest, a loss to the Indianapolis Colts, with an ankle injury he suffered the previous game.

Obviously, I want to make plays, don’t get me wrong. I want to score touchdowns. I want to dance," Beckham said. "I want to have fun, but, definitely, to help the younger guys: mentally, physically, spiritually, however I can. I embrace that role and that opportunity, and I take it very seriously. I don’t mind being the older guy for once in the room."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2023/09/28/odell-beckham-baltimore-ravens-receivers-zay-flowers-leader/70904175007/