ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

over uses phrases by the media

tsylvester

Sorry, I have to vent. This new media, these young folks now covering the NFL and the college game. Man, (can I use that term now adays) they act as if they know about the game, even use some of the common terminology correctly, but if you listen long enough, it is clear, they do not. They use phrases too often or in the improper context.

Case in point 1) "high point the ball".

This one really gets my goat 🐐,  it is a phrase that coaches used to use for young players who do nothing but body catch, who will even wait on a pass to come down to catch it with their body.

In essence, it is jumping up to catch it with their hands.

Where it is over used, ney,(sic) improperly used. This new media uses it when trying to sound football intelligent, and praise a player for jumping up to catch a high pass while being covered, as if the player had any choice. If they tried to keep running and catch it with their body at chest level the pass would be over thrown.

Don't describe a player as one who "high points the ball", just say that they are good at leaping and catching, have good leaping ability, have good hands even in traffic.

Listen closely to most of these talking heads and you will find that they actually say nothing except what will get them hits & clicks, "hot takes". Gone are the days of real analysts, real reporting, the stories written for the papers and sports magazines is gone/ rant and yes, get off my lawn 😉