ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The new low

http://www.camdenchat.com/2011/11/2/2534433/do-you-find-the-orioles-embarrassing-if-not-why-not

For awhile now, all I've asked is that the Orioles not embarrass me. Since every year it seems inevitable from May on that they'll lose 90 games, I've come to terms with the fact that they aren't going to win a lot of games. But please, Orioles, all I ask is that you don't be the biggest embarrassment in the history of baseball.

Too late.

Remember Rafael Palmeiro's shenanigans? Or that time they just couldn't find Sammy Sosa? Or 30-3? Or 2-16? Or all of the things I've blocked out or don't care to mention?

But what's shaping up right now feels like an all-time low. First the Orioles tried to keep Andy MacPhail on board. He said no. Then they interviewed Jerry DiPoto, who took the job with the Angels instead. At first it just seemed like the Orioles didn't move as fast as the Angels, but the rumor now is that DiPoto also turned them down. Then Tony LaCava had one interview that left him ready to accept the job, but a meeting with Peter Angelos in which LaCava discovered he wouldn't be able to make all of his own personnel decisions soured him. Now the Orioles are just a running joke across baseball.

Rob Neyer asks, "Will anyone work for the Baltimore Orioles?" Buster Olney puts out there: "There are other highly regarded assistant GMs telling friends they would not consider O's job if called. O's have major perception problem." After calling the situation a complete disaster caused by Angelos, Keith Law jokingly (maybe?) suggests that Orioles fans who don't know what to do now should consider becoming Nationals fans.

The Orioles have been a joke for awhile now, but has it been worse than this? I don't generally care what the national media says, but in this case what else should they say? Not to mention the local media (a number of whom work for MASN and are paid by the Orioles) isn't doing much investigating to get to the bottom of what's really happening with the Orioles. Ken Rosenthal got where he is by being a good reporter, but getting regularly scooped by him should be an embarrassment to the local sports writers.

The off season is a time for hope, a time when we can imagine that our beloved team might do the right thing for once and get this team back on the right track. Instead the Orioles, led by Peter Angelos, are cementing their role of laughingstock. This is as discouraged as I've ever been this early in the off season, as terrible of a start to the hot stove season that I can imagine. Not that the Orioles could or should sign any big free agents this year, but with free agency starting tomorrow they couldn't even if they wanted to.

Roch Kubatko, Brittany Ghiroli, and Dan Connolly are dutifully reporting that the Orioles are now interested in interviewing Scott Proefrock, Andrew Friedman (heh, ok), Mike Radcliff, and Rick Hahn. But the problem isn't in who they end up hiring, the problem is what's going on with the Orioles that drove MacPhail away and caused Tony LaCava to choose to stay in an assistant position in Toronto. If Peter Angelos has really made the working conditions so terrible, then it doesn't matter what happens. No matter what the talents of the next GM, he'll be operating with his hands tied and won't have any more success than his predecessors. And we, as fans, will continue to suffer.

Beyond pathetic to not have a GM at the start of free agency. My biggest fear is that Angelos gives it to John Stockstill, the director of scouting/development, just because he can't find anyone else - a new 'right hand man' that he know will follow all the rules. It would be great to see the worst scouting department in the league run the worst team in the league, no? Just pathetic.

How can any player take seriously an organization like this? They can't.

And as much as I like Showalter, the idea of him 'running the show' as the manager, certainly can't be helping in finding a GM.

"So, here's the job description, prospective candidate and highly respected assistant GM somewhere in the league... you are to go out and find us players... but you should only find players that our manager approves of, because we care about him more than you, and you can only consider trading players that our manager wants you to trade, because, again, we care about him more than you. He's the head honcho. Then, if and when you are able to agree with the manager about who you want to pursue and how you are going to pursue them, you need to see me, the real head honcho, to approve first your decision with the manager - because I only want the players I want - and second, to approve how much money you want to give said player that we all agree on, because I'm a tightwad who only has several hundred million dollars in my reserves that I don't want to touch. Then, if and when I allow you to sign said player, assuming he's still on the market (and he won't be anyway -that's the joke), his massive failure and the organization's failure to follow will be placed squarely on your shoulders and an entire state's worth of people will despise you for the rest of your life. In return for all this glory, I will allow you to become the laughing stock of the national sports media and all of your colleagues, making it difficult for you to ever achieve a similar position in the league again. How's that sound? No, you're right, being an assistant to a man half your age in Toronto sounds much better."

Beyond pathetic to not have a GM at the start of free agency. My biggest fear is that Angelos gives it to John Stockstill, the director of scouting/development, just because he can't find anyone else - a new 'right hand man' that he know will follow all the rules. It would be great to see the worst scouting department in the league run the worst team in the league, no? Just pathetic. How can any player take seriously an organization like this? They can't. And as much as I like Showalter, the idea of him 'running the show' as the manager, certainly can't be helping in finding a GM. "So, here's the job description, prospective candidate and highly respected assistant GM somewhere in the league... you are to go out and find us players... but you should only find players that our manager approves of, because we care about him more than you, and you can only consider trading players that our manager wants you to trade, because, again, we care about him more than you. He's the head honcho. Then, if and when you are able to agree with the manager about who you want to pursue and how you are going to pursue them, you need to see me, the real head honcho, to approve first your decision with the manager - because I only want the players I want - and second, to approve how much money you want to give said player that we all agree on, because I'm a tightwad who only has several hundred million dollars in my reserves that I don't want to touch. Then, if and when I allow you to sign said player, assuming he's still on the market (and he won't be anyway -that's the joke), his massive failure and the organization's failure to follow will be placed squarely on your shoulders and an entire state's worth of people will despise you for the rest of your life. In return for all this glory, I will allow you to become the laughing stock of the national sports media and all of your colleagues, making it difficult for you to ever achieve a similar position in the league again. How's that sound? No, you're right, being an assistant to a man half your age in Toronto sounds much better."

I could not have written that any better. Are you going to post this around. If not I will.

I put the "job description" with some tweaks on my Facebook, but that's probably the extent of it. Maybe I'll send it to The Sun - on the condition that they can use it if I don't have to pay to read their shitty articles and coverage of the team. ;)

You're welcome to put it wherever.

• 4 months later...

Saw that the other day. Sad, yes, but I think deceiving.

There are still reports that the O's will likely get the guy they were going after anyway... the deal was voided, but it's happened to other clubs before (albeit less egregiously, though still unintentionally), and those teams have come away with their player.

The international rules for these things are a joke anyway - especially when you compare the Asian and Latin American Markets. Then throw in 'homegrown' (aka USA high school and college talent) and it's all a joke.

Sry. It said Hank Aaron just signed with the O's. posted below is what follows.

I wish.

20 hours ago ·

•  

Who cares they would still finish last.
    20 hours ago ·

•  
    Dave Bell Yeah he is the right age to be an O.
    20 hours ago · · drP8vlvSl_8.gif 1

•  

First question in that press conference ... Hank who is your agent? 2nd question ..Is he still employed??
    20 hours ago

•  

Har har- sell the team for his Heirlooms!
    20 hours ago

•  

And Andy Van Slyke again.
    19 hours ago ·· drP8vlvSl_8.gif 1

•  

Yea ha lol
    19 hours ago

•  

Dave Bell I heard they will sign Jackie Robinson next week. They already have his number available.
    19 hours ago ·

•  

Priceless!
    16 hours ago

•  

I bet he ends up with the most HR's on the team. PS hits n RBI's 2... I wonder if he can pitch, f it lowest ERA 2!!!
    16 hours ago ·

•  

Ray Bachman Y do we have to be so terrible
    11 hours ago ·

•  

Mine as well sign Ron Kittle and Lonnie Smith again on their last legs...
    9 hours ago ·

•  

What about Juan Marichal
    about an hour ago

•  
    Dave Bell Ray they are so terrible because one of the worst owners in sports owns them. He does not care about winning.
    17 minutes ago ·

/*=0){throw 1;}}si_cj("3 http:\/\/www.facebook.com\/");}catch(e){si_cj("1 \thttp:\/\/www.facebook.com\/");window.document.write("\u003Cstyle>body * {display:none !important;}\u003C\/style>\u003Ca href=\"#\" onclick=\"top.location.href=window.location.href\" style=\"display:block !important;padding:10px\">\u003Ci class=\"img sp_46v94c sx_401f21\" style=\"display:block !important\">\u003C\/i>Go to Facebook.com\u003C\/a>");/*ckdjAqnL*/}}/*]]>*/