ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

-- Ravens Free Agency Update --

Ravenmaniac52

The Baltimore Sun reports LB Ray Lewis, LB Terrell Suggs, LB Bart Scott, C Jason Brown, SS Jim Leonhard, FB Lorenzo Neal and PK Matt Stover are the most prominent Ravens who can become unrestricted free agents in March. While the team contemplated using the franchise tag on either Lewis or Suggs, the other players spoke yesterday of their desire to remain with the team. "Everybody knows that I would love to come back here to Baltimore," said Brown, who anchored a young, talented offensive line. "The wonderful coaching staff, the wonderful administration upstairs, wonderful players. We've definitely grown this year into a football team, coming from last year and how things were around here and nobody knew exactly how far we would progress." Added Leonhard, who was signed to a one-year deal: "I would love to be back here. We'll work this out here in the next couple months. I had a great time here. I think anyone in the media that's talked to me can understand the type of season that I've had and just how much I've enjoyed it. I would love to be back in Baltimore. We'll see how everything plays out." According to his coaches, Scott put together a strong season, but he might be the odd man out with the team expected to focus on Lewis and Suggs, neither of whom talked to reporters yesterday. Scott said he hasn't given his future much thought. "After I step out of this room, I won't think about football," he said. "I'll think about being with my family, playing with my kids, taking my son to school, and playing with my daughter." Stover rebounded from a 4-for-7 start to finish with a 31-for-37 conversion rate. Stover said he and HC John Harbaugh discussed his returning but acknowledged that retirement is an option. Neal turned 38 last month but said he wants to return. "Oh yeah, I still love to play," he said. "I would still love to get another year or two in."

The sad part this year is that all these players want to stay here. We aren't trying to throw money at guys hoping we can keep our spots filled. We simply don't have the room for all of these very good players, all of whom have either put many years of their lives into the team, or want to be a part of a franchise on the upswing.

The fact that you can never have it both ways is just fatally ironic.

Anyone get a figure on our cap situation yet? Because I don't see how come we CANT keep all these guys.... We have a few large contracts off the books in Boller, Odgen and McNair, we could cut C-Mac, who was our highest paid player last year, Suggs, Lewis and Scott all figure to get similiar deals to the ones they already had (Suggs may want a 2-3 Million dollar raise, but that's what Boller was making). Leonhard and Brown figure to get large raises, but based on our salary number this year and the amount of room we have, I don't see why it's not possible. Given that, I don't really want to resign Scott, because I think that 5 Million could be spent more wisely on a CB or WR.

Anyone get a figure on our cap situation yet? Because I don't see how come we CANT keep all these guys.... We have a few large contracts off the books in Boller, Odgen and McNair, we could cut C-Mac, who was our highest paid player last year, Suggs, Lewis and Scott all figure to get similiar deals to the ones they already had (Suggs may want a 2-3 Million dollar raise, but that's what Boller was making). Leonhard and Brown figure to get large raises, but based on our salary number this year and the amount of room we have, I don't see why it's not possible. Given that, I don't really want to resign Scott, because I think that 5 Million could be spent more wisely on a CB or WR.

You can't concentrate that much on last year's CAP number. Remember that players already under contract generally have escalating salaries, and will be paid more in 2009 than they were in 2008.