ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The Board is Set

vmax

I love reading Kevin Byrnes thoughts and observations... :gorave:

The hay’s not quite in the barn, but Ozzie, Eric and the rest of the Ravens’ brain trust is ready to select new players.

yodoz2%20copy.jpg “Over the last 30 to 40 hours, Eric, Harbs (John Harbaugh) and I have scrimmaged about different possible scenarios that could happen before we pick at 29 tonight. [Director of College Scouting] Joe [Hortiz] is involved, too,” Newsome said. “The board is set, and we’re comfortable with all the work that went into it.

“We’ve identified nine players we believe could be there at 29. We’ve taken those nine players and did some extra study on each,” Newsome continued. “We had each of our scouts look extensively at these players. We then matched up all of these against the others and played the game of: ‘If this player and that player are there, who do we select and why. That’s a real good discussion and takes some time. We get the coaches involved. We get matchups of this offensive player versus this defensive player. We go through as many possibilities that we can think of.”

When Ozzie first ran his shop in Baltimore, he asked then-head coach Ted Marchibroda what Ted wanted in a player. Ted responded: “Someone with football temperament. Someone who likes it.”

That “temperament” is now a significant part of the Ravens’ profile.

I can’t give away all the secrets – not that I know them. But, I will offer this: We will draft a player tonight who has a passion for football. We will not take a great athlete – maybe one who dominated at the college level – who doesn’t like all parts of the game. The newest Raven will like the physicality of the game. He will enjoy working hard in the weight room. He will be a player with a history of taking the extra step. He will be someone who loves to compete – all of the time. He will be tough. He will be a Raven…and play like one.

http://www.baltimore..._1st_Round.aspx

Edited by vmax