ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Carmon Misses Out In Draft, But Retains High Pro Hopes

papasmurfbell

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=8947

Carmon Misses Out In Draft, But Retains High Pro Hopes

With each passing pick, James Carmon's stress level continued to grow.

Although the 6-foot-6, 330-pound former Mississippi State offensive lineman hadn't expected to be selected during the first three rounds of April's NFL draft, he was told he might come off the board anywhere between rounds four and seven.

But no team called his name during the seven rounds of the draft.

"That was extremely stressful," said Carmon, a Baltimore native and 2008 graduate of City College High School. "I was hoping someone would call my name, but they didn't. But I guess it ended up working out for the best, because I was able to go somewhere I wanted to go."

Carmon signed with the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent shortly after the draft concluded.

He said his phone blew up with teams interested in signing him once the draft was over, but he wanted to play for the Ravens after working out for them during the weeks leading up to the draft.

"It's a dream come true to be able to play for the Ravens," Carmon said. "I'm just ready to hit the ground running, get with the team, learn the playbook and try to make the 53-man roster."

Carmon, who attended Mississippi Gulf Coast Junior College before signing with Mississippi State, came to the Bulldogs as the most highly sought-after junior college defensive tackle prospect in the country, according to Rivals.com.

He played in all 13 games as a defensive tackle for Mississippi State as a junior in 2010, starting three. He moved to left tackle the following spring to fill a hole along the offensive line.

He started 10 of the 11 games he played in as a senior, nine at left tackle and one at right guard. ProFootballWeekly's pre-draft scouting report on Carmon described him as a developmental mauler better suited for guard in the NFL, despite his collegiate experience playing left tackle.

NFL.com's Chad Reuter, on the other hand, touted Carmon as the best fit for Baltimore among its undrafted free-agent signings.

"Carmon was originally brought to [Mississippi State] to play defensive tackle," Reuter wrote, "and was compared to new teammate Terrence Cody because of his size and junior college background. The Ravens will continue his education as an offensive tackle, with the hopes he flourishes."

Carmon faces an uphill battle for a roster spot, though. The Ravens selected two offensive linemen during the first four rounds of the draft, and they currently have 11 offensive linemen on their roster, not including Carmon and other undrafted free agents.

Baltimore carried only nine offensive linemen on its preliminary 53-man roster last season.

"I'm just going to have to do my job and do my part," Carmon said. "The coaches are going to be watching me, and I want to show them I can play. I know I didn't get drafted, but that's put a chip on my shoulder. …

"I'm a hard worker and a fast learner. I really like to get after it, and I definitely have a mean streak. I don't play defense anymore, but I still have a defensive mentality and like to hit people. I feel like with the right coaching, and with the right guys, I should be a starter one day in the NFL."