ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ngata getting snubbed again.

Guest BallTMore

Guest BallTMore
Outlook for Ngata not-so-rosy in early Pro Bowl balloting

Following up on Mike Preston’s previous post, I recently received early voting results for the Pro Bowl in February, and Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata is not one of the top five vote-getters at his position in the AFC.

The top five are Tennessee’s Albert Haynesworth (206,925 votes), Pittsburgh’s Casey Hampton (86,352), Buffalo’s Marcus Stroud (80,981), New York’s Kris Jenkins (74,343) and Cleveland’s Shaun Rogers (72,950).

In other Pro Bowl news, inside linebacker Ray Lewis, free safety Ed Reed and fullback Le’Ron McClain lead in voting at their respective positions in the AFC.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/rav...alloting_1.html

Edited by BallTMore

In all honesty, Haynesworth and Jenkins are having amazing years. Haynesworth very well might be the DPOY. It is a tough field to crack. I am glad to see McClain getting some recognition!

Guys like Grubbs and Brown should be getting some pub as well. They have played very well this year.

Ngata needs to be more disruptive on a regular basis. He's havin a great year, but by comarison those other guys are making huge impacts game in and game out.

Ngata is 26th in tackles for all defensive lineman. (7th for defensive tackles excluding defensive ends, although NFL.com has him listed as a DE, isn't he a DT?)

With 1 sack he's 111th in the NFL.

He does lead the league in passes defensed or deflected however you want to put it.

To make the Pro Bowl he's gonna have to have a greater impact, and taking the purple shades off, he doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, don't want to trade him or anything, but he's no Haynesworth or Rogers. He has been doing a great job keeping guys off Ray as Ray is making far more plays this year.

If Haloti is to make the Pro Bowl he's got to get more sacks and tackles for losses.

Ngata needs to be more disruptive on a regular basis. He's havin a great year, but by comarison those other guys are making huge impacts game in and game out.

Ngata is 26th in tackles for all defensive lineman. (7th for defensive tackles excluding defensive ends, although NFL.com has him listed as a DE, isn't he a DT?)

With 1 sack he's 111th in the NFL.

He does lead the league in passes defensed or deflected however you want to put it.

To make the Pro Bowl he's gonna have to have a greater impact, and taking the purple shades off, he doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, don't want to trade him or anything, but he's no Haynesworth or Rogers. He has been doing a great job keeping guys off Ray as Ray is making far more plays this year.

If Haloti is to make the Pro Bowl he's got to get more sacks and tackles for losses.

Good points yager, but remember, both Haynesworth and Rogers are guys who had the same problems with consistency that you just described for Ngata. Both Haynesworth and Rogers have really just come into their own within the past two seasons after years of flashing such potential.

In my opinion, Ngata is very well on the same path as Haynesworth and Rogers were in becoming a consistently dominant NT. Remember one more thing though, this is Ngata's first season as NT in the NFL (Gregg used to be the NT). Haloti is playing A LOT of snaps. I think he is being overworked to an extent, which could contribute to his inconsistently.

Haloti has gotten better each year and is well on his way to becoming an All-Pro DT. Right now the AFC just happens to have the best NTs in the league with Kris Jenkins, Hayneworth, and Rogers. If Haloti played in the NFC, he would be a Pro Bowler. Kevin Williams is the only dominant DT in the conferance.

Haloti's time is coming, and he has certainly been an impact player this season. He will only get better and projects very well to a Shaun Rogers-type of player.