ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Small Corners Bite Again

dc.

Seeing the TD where Reed blitzed and nearly took out Brady, but Brady put the ball up to Moss for the inside TD... couldn't help thinking that it really wasn't Foxworth's fault.

Foxworth's job there is to chuck the receiver, hit him once, hit him hard enough to disrupt the timing... play over. But Foxworth, Washington, Carr... they just aren't big enough. Especially not against Moss. McAlister might have made that chuck... but nothing you can do when the guy just outmatches you in stats.

Liked the play call, but we need to find a way to get our corners more physical.

Yea dc...they are getting pushed around.

Still Moss only had 3 catches for 50 yards and 1 TD...not too bad.

It was Watson and Welker who killed them....and Morris making clutch catches down the stretch.

258 passing yards for Brady and a 100.8 QB rating...not a good day for the Ravens pass D...

The whole D blew in the redzone. 2 rushing TD's...1 pass given up.

I think this is unfair citicism dc. First, Moss is a Hall of Fame receiver, possibly the most talented receiver of all-time. The fact that we held him to 3 receptions for fifty yards is all you could ask for also considering Welker was held under fifty yards. To citicize the short corners on one play is a little unfair. When two great teams collide, great players will win individual matchups. Moss won that play. We were physical with Welker in the slot all day, and were able to contain him pretty well.

Second, C-Mac is possibly a Hall of Fame corner, how many corners in the league right now are as good as C-Mac? I'll give you a hint, I could probably count them with one hand.

I think you're misunderstanding, Cleetz.

I didn't mean to criticize their overall play.

I only meant to say that that one play was a symptom of a mismatch. It's a disadvantage we either have to deal with (not give up the help coverage) or change (don't know that finding a big CB is possible right now).

In other words... we have small corners. They played well most of the day, were much better about finding the ball most of the day. But they are going to be weak when it comes to making hits and chucking receivers. And on that play, specifically, it really bit us in the butt. Brady and BB took advantage of it.

I think you're misunderstanding, Cleetz.

I didn't mean to criticize their overall play.

I only meant to say that that one play was a symptom of a mismatch. It's a disadvantage we either have to deal with (not give up the help coverage) or change (don't know that finding a big CB is possible right now).

In other words... we have small corners. They played well most of the day, were much better about finding the ball most of the day. But they are going to be weak when it comes to making hits and chucking receivers. And on that play, specifically, it really bit us in the butt. Brady and BB took advantage of it.

I am not misunderstanding you, I am arguing that we know we have mismatches against bigger receivers and that we did a pretty darned good job of gameplanning against the mismatch. My other point is no matter how good you gameplan, you are not going to be perfect. Just because Brady hit Moss for one big play does not mean our gameplan was terrible. This is just what happens when two great teams play each other, there are breakdowns on both sides.

In other words, we did change our gameplan from previous weeks as it comes to bigger receivers.

Haha... I still think you're misunderstanding.

I think the play call on the Moss TD was flawed. If the play is going to require a chuck of a big receiver... and your CB can't do it... you can't call that play. That simple. They did great 99% of the time today... but they exploited that weakness on the play where it mattered most.

Haha... I still think you're misunderstanding.

I think the play call on the Moss TD was flawed. If the play is going to require a chuck of a big receiver... and your CB can't do it... you can't call that play. That simple. They did great 99% of the time today... but they exploited that weakness on the play where it mattered most.

I guess the answer to that is we took a risk and it failed. It is simply the balancing act of sticking to your gameplan as opposed to compromising it at times and going for the big play. Hindsight is 20-20. If we don't blitz maybe Brady finds Welker over the middle, maybe he is sacked, who knows? If that play works, obviously it is seen as a good risk. Honestly, I did not like the call, I thought it was a little impatient. But how many times have we seen that play work for us and the QB throws an errant imcomplete pass in the face of our blitz? I cannot blame the thought process behind the call.