ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Enigmatic Os offense

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crav, You are right. Their pitching is among the best in baseball. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Team Walgreen's wins tonight's rubber game.

They have Gio Gonzalez on the hill tonight. He has been practically unhittable and will be just as tough on us as was Strasberg and Phishter.

After that, its the stankies !

Fastest the O's have been to 50 wins in a season since 1997. Surprised me to hear that; means we are actually ahead of pace from 2012 - though I guess we do have to remember we were "decent" that year until Manny came up in July and we transformed into a legit threat. But maybe with Manny's bat coming alive again, we can see something similar.

Meanwhile - I was doing some research on the A's recently and was shocked to see some of their numbers. Most runs scored in all of baseball - but only two (regular) players hitting over 265. Seriously only two over 265. Lots of HRs in there, though no one with more than 20. The big difference (this is the "Moneyball" factor) is that they have most of their starting line-up with an OBP over 350. The O's are the opposite. I think we have 6 starters with a BA over 265 (maybe even over 275), but only 1-2 guys with an OBP over 350.

Regardless, it still doesn't make much sense to me and I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about it. There is no way the A's continue to be the best offense in baseball without the hit to back up the walks. And I just don't see Coco Crisp continuing to pace for almost 30 HRs. Or John Jason/Derrick Norris (their catcher platoon) continuing to both hit over 300 and slug like crazy.

Fastest the O's have been to 50 wins in a season since 1997. Surprised me to hear that; means we are actually ahead of pace from 2012 - though I guess we do have to remember we were "decent" that year until Manny came up in July and we transformed into a legit threat. But maybe with Manny's bat coming alive again, we can see something similar.

Meanwhile - I was doing some research on the A's recently and was shocked to see some of their numbers. Most runs scored in all of baseball - but only two (regular) players hitting over 265. Seriously only two over 265. Lots of HRs in there, though no one with more than 20. The big difference (this is the "Moneyball" factor) is that they have most of their starting line-up with an OBP over 350. The O's are the opposite. I think we have 6 starters with a BA over 265 (maybe even over 275), but only 1-2 guys with an OBP over 350.

Regardless, it still doesn't make much sense to me and I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about it. There is no way the A's continue to be the best offense in baseball without the hit to back up the walks. And I just don't see Coco Crisp continuing to pace for almost 30 HRs. Or John Jason/Derrick Norris (their catcher platoon) continuing to both hit over 300 and slug like crazy.

No I don't think there's any chance of it. Especially once we get to the fall. At this point their pitching is more frightening than their timely hitting, and they paid a huge price to have that.

Let the media pundits slob knob over the A's, except for last season the O's close the season strong under Buck,

1997 eh DC? that was a great time in Baltimore, Ravens games at Memorial Stadium hearing PA announcer giving O's updates, joint going wild..Good times