ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Penalty after Replay?

millz58

I guess under 2:00 in first half v. Raiders, officials reviewed a pass play to find Flacco over the LOS. They didn't throw a flag during the play, but assessed a penalty after the review. Since when has official's review been used to call a penalty they didn't call during the play? This baffled me; good use of TO by Harbaugh BTW.

I guess under 2:00 in first half v. Raiders, officials reviewed a pass play to find Flacco over the LOS. They didn't throw a flag during the play, but assessed a penalty after the review. Since when has official's review been used to call a penalty they didn't call during the play? This baffled me; good use of TO by Harbaugh BTW.

I have seen replay used before to check whether a QB has crossed the line of scrimmage. I think it happened in the Eagles game last week too.

What concerned me even more on that play was that Flacco couldn't hit a wide open Ray Rice. All he had to do was lob it. He could have thrown that ball a couple of yards prior to the LoS as well for the TD. Those are plays we are going to need this week.

Cleetz,

Have you noticed Joe's tendency to almost always overthrow his receivers while he on the run.

I am wondering if that is purely a throwing mechanic problem.

Its amazing how he can throw a perfect ball (e.g. opener vs KC TD pass to Clayton) but miss the easy throws (your example plus the missed pass to Heap ealier in Raider game).

In fairness to Joe, he's had a boatload of dropped balls - Clayton, Mason.

Lets see if QB and WRs can get on same page this Sunday.

Cleetz,

Have you noticed Joe's tendency to almost always overthrow his receivers while he on the run.

I am wondering if that is purely a throwing mechanic problem.

Its amazing how he can throw a perfect ball (e.g. opener vs KC TD pass to Clayton) but miss the easy throws (your example plus the missed pass to Heap ealier in Raider game).

In fairness to Joe, he's had a boatload of dropped balls - Clayton, Mason.

Lets see if QB and WRs can get on same page this Sunday.

I have noticed this as well and I think it is purely a mental thing as opposed to a mechanics thing (although the two could be connected, I guess). I really believe the Packers game shook Joe up. In the first half of the season Joe was money with all his throws on the run, he was just letting it rip. Since the Packers game he has been hesistant to throw the ball. Case in point is the Rice throw which could have easily been thrown two yards prior. Just like a hitter in baseball, Joe is going through a slump and he will break out of it eventually. Lets just hope it is against the Pats. And hopefully next year Ozzie can get Joe some help at WR.

I have seen replay used before to check whether a QB has crossed the line of scrimmage. I think it happened in the Eagles game last week too.

Okay, so what you're saying is maybe refs can stop the clock to retroactively call penalties? That's the point of my post, not Flacco's efforts per se. I hate the idea that the refs can use replay to make retroactive penalty calls, that could transcend to all sorts of weirdness (pass interference, whatever). that was my question really.

You cannot use replay to enforce any penalty EXCEPT illegal forward passes, as far as I know... it can be done when a QB is past the line of scrimmage or when a player laterals illegally forward...

I think in the case of Flacco's play, it was stupid and moot point because the pass was incomplete... had Flacco completed the pass, then sure, review it just like you would a fumble or a touchdown ... but on an incomplete pass? Silly.

You cannot use replay to enforce any penalty EXCEPT illegal forward passes, as far as I know... it can be done when a QB is past the line of scrimmage or when a player laterals illegally forward...

I think in the case of Flacco's play, it was stupid and moot point because the pass was incomplete... had Flacco completed the pass, then sure, review it just like you would a fumble or a touchdown ... but on an incomplete pass? Silly.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware you could enforce any penalty after the fact via replay. just curious. Hope it doesn't creep up in more interesting situations.

Well, in the case of illegal forward pass, in addition to being a penalty, it is a non-judgment call that determines the outcome of a play - fumble, out of bounds, 'breaking the plane.' Whether you should be able to enforce the penalty? Arguable. But whether you should be able to correct an illegal act (like completing a pass forward or lateraling to a man forward)? Certainly.

Well, in the case of illegal forward pass, in addition to being a penalty,

Not to be combative here, but that's my real question, how can it be a penalty when it wasn't called (originally)? that begs the question of course, that the refs would assume a penalty should have been called and then use replay to call it. I'm only asking because it seemed so weird to me for them to use replay to call a penalty. Hope I'm just stupid here, I just don't get it.

No, again, I get it. Like I said, I don't entirely know because I know that, in the rules, replay is not supposed to be used to enforce penalties.

BUT I also know that I have seen, on numerous occasions, it used to not only enforce the 'forward pass' rule, but also a penalty as a part of that.

No justification why, really.