ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Mason's done

vmax

I heard this on the radio...Casey Willet reporting from the Palace said Derrick said he's done.

I was hoping he'd come back but we all saw this comming...I guess.

The Ravens now have 0 wide receivers.

50655705.JPG

Well, I don't trust anything Mason says at this point... or anyone, really. If they had mentioned it during the season or pre-season, likeJ Jamal, then sure. But this is standard rushing to a decision stuff... and I bet Mason flip-flops a bit (again)

Well, I don't trust anything Mason says at this point... or anyone, really. If they had mentioned it during the season or pre-season, likeJ Jamal, then sure. But this is standard rushing to a decision stuff... and I bet Mason flip-flops a bit (again)

You're right dc.

Mason did say yesterday that he's healthy and his family is in Baltimore.

I think it's the mental grind and all the work he knows he will have to put in to play up to his standards that has him in this frame of mind....that and the huge disappointment in being knocked out of the playoffs.

Edited by vmax

Honestly, I don't think his decision impacts our off-season much at all. We need receivers regardless.

If we have him, perhaps we can focus on drafting a few and letting Mason help them develop.

If we don't, we still 2 or 3 or 4 receivers... and that requires help from FA and the draft.

Updatye! Still up in the air....

Cleaning out his locker Monday, wide receiver Derrick Mason gave the impression that he's conflicted on whether to return or retire.

"It’s still up in the air now," Mason said. "Right now, it’s one of those situations where you go home and think about it and you weigh the pros and the cons. If the pros outweigh the cons, that’s how you make your decision."

The interview with Mason got off to a bizarre start. Without being asked a question, Mason arrived at his locker and told reporters, "I’m done. I’m going to say it again, 'This is it.' I had a lot of fun. We had a good roll this year. We had a lot of ups and a lot of downs. Through it all, I think we stayed together as a team and played as a team."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/01/mason_on_retirement_its_still_up_in_the_air.html

Honestly, I don't think his decision impacts our off-season much at all. We need receivers regardless.

If we have him, perhaps we can focus on drafting a few and letting Mason help them develop.

If we don't, we still 2 or 3 or 4 receivers... and that requires help from FA and the draft.

This should have been the mindset last season, or even the season before. With where this team is at with back-to-back playoff appearances, we need guys who can come in right away and contribute. We better hope for this CBA thing to work out, because rookies are not going to fill the hole. Believe me, Ozzie and Harbaugh will stick with Clayton and Williams.