ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

for the oldtimers...

vmax

Love this video on Memorial Stadium Home Field Advantage...I grew up there....saw it all.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d8114a1f9/Top-Ten-Home-Field-Advantages-Memorial-Stadium

51113889.jpg

Memorial Stadium was built in 1950 and located on 33rd Street and Ellerslie Avenue in Baltimore. It was the home of the Baltimore Orioles from 1954-1991 and the home of the Baltimore Colts from 1953-1983. The stadium was built to replace Oriole Park, which burned down in 1944 and was home to the Orioles of the International League. It was a $6.5 million project and hosted football and minor league baseball games at first. Memorial Stadium originally seated 31,000 fans but was later expanded to fit almost 54,000 for baseball and 65,000 for football. The inscription on the wall read: "Dedicated as a memorial to all who so valiantly fought in the world wars with eternal gratitude to those who made the supreme sacrifice to preserve equality and freedom throughout the world -- time will not dim the glory of their deeds." The Colts played their first game at Memorial Stadium on Sept. 27, 1953, beating the Chicago Bears, 13-9. In 1959, John Unitas led the Colts to their second straight NFL championship with a 31-16 victory over the New York Giants at Memorial Stadium. In 1970, the Colts beat the Raiders there in the AFC Championship to advance to Super Bowl V, where they beat the Dallas Cowboys.

17525214.jpg

44774445.jpg

Right after the Raider playoff game a guy crashed his plane in the upper deck of Memorial stadium. 10 minutes sooner and a lot of people would be dead.

I was on the other side of the wall when that happened.

Right after the Raider playoff game a guy crashed his plane in the upper deck of Memorial stadium. 10 minutes sooner and a lot of people would be dead.

I was on the other side of the wall when that happened.

Was it the Steelers and not the Raiders? That's all I can find. I'd like to read about it.

Awww for Christ sakes Max....

That was right after the Stealers Playoff loss...Yes we left early that day, have no reason why either, because thats something my Dad or Uncle never did. We lost 42-10 in the AFC Divisional game to the Cheating Stealers, at the time...Yes.. Roids did matter.