ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Was Gonzalez really the best closer option out of ST?

83eh01

The signing didn't bother me. In fact, I applauded the signing. And I can't deny that.

But what I didn't really like was that in the first week of camp, Trembley announced Gonzalez was closing - no competition, nothing.

Now, I don't know that anyone pitched well enough this Spring to take the job from Gonzalez - who also pitched like shit all spring. But I do know that Gonzalez looked awful this spring and many reported was not only missing the plate (a standard problem for him) but that his velocity was down 5-10MPH.

How the hell can a guy lose 5-10MPH and have NO ONE concerned? That's unbelievable to me.

4/4 in 1 run games.

Except that, as Schmuck points out today, scouts from across the league were in O's camp and consistently convinced he had to be pitching hurt.

Millwood looked like crap - and there were good, believable reasons to write that off as standard.

Gonzalez was a question mark to everyone.

The signing didn't bother me. In fact, I applauded the signing. And I can't deny that.

But what I didn't really like was that in the first week of camp, Trembley announced Gonzalez was closing - no competition, nothing.

Now, I don't know that anyone pitched well enough this Spring to take the job from Gonzalez - who also pitched like shit all spring. But I do know that Gonzalez looked awful this spring and many reported was not only missing the plate (a standard problem for him) but that his velocity was down 5-10MPH.

How the hell can a guy lose 5-10MPH and have NO ONE concerned? That's unbelievable to me.

4/4 in 1 run games.

They said he was in the mid 80s in ST, but then up to 95 in these few appearances