ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ngata Getting the Recognition

vmax

Please note Jim Nance...Haloti Ngata (pronounced ha-LOW-tee Nahtah)

Nice article....

Opposing players already understand the problems Ngata creates for offenses.

Carolina Panthers center Ryan Kalil spent most of last Sunday trying to help contain Ngata in the Ravens' 37-13 win. That effort reminded Kalil of all the times he faced Ngata when Kalil was at USC and Ngata at Oregon. In fact, Kalil recently described one play in college when Ngata stood up over him, then walked back a few yards before charging forward at the snap.

If not for the assistance of a guard who chipped Ngata on the play, Kalil might still be shaking off that collision.

"That was the only time in my life that I've ever been frightened of another player on a football field," said Kalil, who is listed at 6-foot-2 and 295 pounds. "But that's why Haloti's presence alone is such a big thing. He has the size, the strength and the quickness to do whatever he wants out there."

Ngata's power is only one reason why he's become an elite talent. He's so intelligent that Ravens defensive line coach Clarence Brooks said, "If you told him to make a defensive call, he could tell you exactly what all 11 men are supposed to do on any given play." Ngata also is so freakishly gifted that the Ravens have no problems sliding him from the three-technique defensive tackle spot to nose tackle or defensive end. On top of all that, the man plays with unbridled desire.

"I've seen wide receivers take off after catching screen passes and Haloti will catch them 25 yards downfield," said Ravens center Matt Birk. "I'm not saying that's an impossible feat but most guys his size can't do that."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&page=hotread11/Haloti Ngata

48842836.jpg