ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Terps v. VaTech

millz58

It could get ugly soon if Gary and the Twerps can't handle the Hokies at home; they have no quality wins this season, and if they don't get a leg up into the upper 6 with a win tonight, they could very well end up 11-11 or 12-10 before they face Duke again to begin the February run to the regular season's end. They could actually finish with a record barely NIT worthy, now that would be something. And really, they could finish sub-.500 for the first time since '92-'93, they have been to least NIT if not NCAA each year since then. Tell me: can this team make it 3-2 or 4-1 against Hokies, Clemson, VA, GT, and Duke? My guess is no, so they're looking at .500 or just above going into the rest of February. this doesn't look good.

Bring on the O's...

They may only get to the NIT. They lost a lot last yr. When you lose your entire back court it takes time for the new guys to step up.

Of course; what I'm saying is that this team, which has the raw talent to compete (many close losses to good teams, but all losses) is in serious danger of not making even the NIT, depending on the next 5 games, which starts with one that they should win, and the others maybe not (at Virginia, Terps are definitely suspect even when the Wahoos are weak). Yes they're hurting at guard, but hey Gary is a teacher-coach, let's see how he does down the stretch. I just hope the team doesn't get any sympathy votes from Lunardi et al (I believe I heard him include the Terps recently as one of 7 or 8 from ACC that, as it stands now, would be in the field of 64).

ESPECIALLY without experienced and/or solid guard play, the mantra should be, "get Jordan the ball" repeat X40. How does that not happen even once during the first 4 minutes? How does a man-to-man defense by the Hokies confuse them? Gary? The Terps have no shooting, field or FT wise, to recover unless their defense creates mega-turnovers.

Gary working, thinking, bringing Padgett in w/Williams after VT brings zone in to frustrate attempts to get ball to Jordan; we'll see how this plays out, I think MD's D will have to bail them out, maybe bring some transition opportunities into the game

Wow, #20 finally gets his first bucket off a missed shot, not even a rebound there, with under 5 to go in 1st half. Is Gary being hands off here? Letting his players work it out? wow..., cuz he doesn't have enough TOs to say what needs to be said before halftime.

Okay, Green is killing MD on the ball, Delaney off it. We'll see if Terps pull another effort at a 2nd half comeback. A loss like this will put the terps out of the NCAA, maybe out of the postseason altogther for the first time since the NCAA-sanctions of the post-Bob-Wade era. A historical low for the Gary-land Terps!

• 2 weeks later...

can this team make it 3-2 or 4-1 against Hokies, Clemson, VA, GT, and Duke? My guess is no

Well, that win vs. clemson looms large, Terps get 3 of the first 4 in that list with the win tonight vs. GT. I'm assuming a very focused Duke team will come in and beat MD, then that would leave them at 14-8 (4-4 ACC) with a couple winable games before back-to-back road games at BC & VT. If they could finish the next 5-game stretch at 6-6 in the ACC by stealing a road win vs. BC/VT they would be in pretty good shape for the last 5 games before the ACC tourney. I'm happy to have Gary prove me wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

not NIT worthy. sigh. Kind of a snub, but considering all the other snub-worthy talent out there (like the Hokies), not much surprise the Terps are really home for spring.

edit: really though, one or two wins this year vs. VT or BC would have helped the twerps immensely, instead they go O-for and also lose other key low-level conference games as well as not register any key out-of-conference games, so they are rightly denounced this year. Garyland is spoiled.