ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Flacco vs Pennington

52isUnstoppable

They are so different yet so similar.

In nine seasons, Miami's Chad Pennington has pretty much seen everything there is to see as an NFL quarterback. After 16 games as a pro, Baltimore's Joe Flacco has much more to see and learn.

However, Pennington and Flacco are defined by similar traits -- their ability to run offenses that don't ask them to carry the load on their passing arms and stress taking good care of the football

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/story?id=09000...mp;confirm=true

I like Pennington and think he got a raw deal in NY.

You can win with the "dink & dunk"....McNair led the Ravens to 13-3 and and the playoffs doing that in 2006 because he couldn't throw the long ball. The Bucs won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson who couldn't throw over 15 yards.

Both are good, solid quarterbacks.

Flacco can make all the throws and Pennington can't. The big play is a real threat with Joe...not with Chad.

Flacco is more atheletic and mobile.

Pennington obviously has the edge in experience. He's done a better job protecting the ball. He's a good leader and field general.

I like Pennington and think he got a raw deal in NY.

You can win with the "dink & dunk"....McNair led the Ravens to 13-3 and and the playoffs doing that in 2006 because he couldn't throw the long ball. The Bucs won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson who couldn't throw over 15 yards.

Both are good, solid quarterbacks.

Flacco can make all the throws and Pennington can't. The big play is a real threat with Joe...not with Chad.

Flacco is more atheletic and mobile.

Pennington obviously has the edge in experience. He's done a better job protecting the ball. He's a good leader and field general.

Good post, max. I re-thought what you said about Pennington needing the Wildcat and trick plays to effectively move the ball downfield. After reading this post, I agree with you. Like you said, Pennington cannot make all the throws. Pennington is only a threat for the deep pass if it is setup by the Wildcat or a trick play. Other than that, Pennington is a "dink & dunk" QB like you said. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but it catches up to you, like it did to us in 2006.

"Dinking and dunking" might effectively move the ball down the field against some defenses, but not ours. What it comes down to is staying disciplined against the trick plays. If we do this, the Dolphins will be voided of any big plays downfield.

Once again like you stated, Flacco can make all the throws and the defense has to defend the big play because Flacco is a threat to throw downfield every play. This is where we have the advantage, and this is why our running game will be able to prosper. It is really nice to finally have a big play QB :D

Plus Jamal ran out of gas by the playoffs....he was the offense.

Flacco might only have to hand the ball off Sunday. The Ravens just might run over Miami.

But you know Cam...there will be some unexpected shots thrown in.

Ball control, ball security, time of possesion, best defense is a good offense...might be a boring win.

Of course I'll be nervous as hell unless the Ravens are up by 17. :)

The D has to pressure Pennington.