ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Hayward-Bey leaving Terps

COLLEGE PARK - University of Maryland junior wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, a McDonogh graduate and big-play threat for the Terps the past three seasons, announced yesterday that he plans to forgo his senior year and enter the 2009 NFL draft.

Heyward-Bey, a two-time All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection, said he debated the pros and cons with everyone close to him before making his decision, from his mother, to coach Ralph Friedgen, to former Ravens receiver Devard Darling, a close family friend. Ultimately, he decided it was time to leave.

more

I hope DHB will be there for us. DHB is exactly what we need: he is a deep threat with size, explosiveness, and ability to run after the catch. To top it off he is a hometown guy who played high school ball in Owings Mills (McDonogh) and went to UMD. I believe that DHB's best football is ahead of him. He is still relatively raw as far as a receiver (although he has progressed greatly in his time at UMD), and never had a QB at UMD. Flacco would have a field day throwing deep balls to DHB.

Crabtree and Maclin figure to be taken in the top half of the draft, hopefully one of Harvin or DHB will be there at, like Spear said, pick #32.

By the way, I wonder what the connection is between DHB and Devard Darling? :huh:

Bey would be nice here, he'd be an additional threat in the Suggs package, he has the size..

What other teams need WR's?

Off the top of my head not considering the team's other needs which may be more dire:

Raiders

Jags

Titans

Bucs

Bears

Seahawks

49ers

Teams that could possibly need a WR:

Lions

Rams

Eagles

Colts

It is still way early though, so no one knows how things are going to look in another few months. However, I think teams have learned when it comes to reaching on receivers. Remember, the first receiver did not come off the board until the second round last year. Players will fall where they are supposed to.

I see Crabtree and Maclin as top tire receivers, with Harvin and DHB as lower first round/early second guys. Both DHB and Harvin are playmakers with great speed, but are still a little raw as receivers, and did not put up elite production at the position like Crabtree and Maclin did. Granted Crabtree and Maclin had great QBs throwing them the ball and were in very pass-friendly systems. Here is what DHB said about his feedback from the NFL on his draft positioning:

It wasn't nothing too crazy or too wild. But if it wasn't positive, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

Even if he runs in the 4.2/4.3 range, I still do not see him going any higher than the mid-20s because of his college production. Chad Jackson out of Florida was in a similar position a couple of years ago, had an amazing combine workout (ran a 4.31 I think), and still did not go to the second round.

I do agree with you Crav, DHB would be a great fit in the Suggs package. As would Harvin.

Off the top of my head not considering the team's other needs which may be more dire:

Raiders

Jags

Titans

Bucs

Bears

Seahawks

49ers

Teams that could possibly need a WR:

Lions

Rams

Eagles

Colts

Scratch the Jags, because they signed too many free agent WRs to go drafting WR in the first round the very next year. Scratch the Bucs, because I think Bryant will stay home. Scratch the Eagles, because they drafted a WR in the first round last year. Scratch the Lions, because that'd just be insane...

I'm not sure about the Raiders, because a new defensive coordinator/coach might want someone, especially because they're turning into a power running team. I'm not sure about the Colts, either.

In my eyes, that leaves about five teams that may likely draft a receiver.

We'll see.